28yr old living with Erbs needing aptis joint replacemnt

Welcome Newbies! Introduce yourselves!
fkirby98
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 28yr old with erbs palsy in my right arm. Iv had multiple surgeries as a child. I'm now having issues with my wrist and my joint it completely wore out. I may have to have an aptis joint replacement.

28yr old living with Erbs needing aptis joint replacemnt

Post by fkirby98 »

Hi guys! I'm new here and not really sure how to really use the site. I'm amazed to know I'm not the only 1 out there with erbs palsy! I honestly have always thought I was alone. No doctors in my area treat it. Iv had multiple surgeries as a child. Had to go to Shriners of Lexington Ky. Those people were truly a blessing to my life. Is anyone on here having issues with there ulnar joint deteriorating?
Jennifer P
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI

Re: 28yr old living with Erbs needing aptis joint replacemnt

Post by Jennifer P »

Welcome to the site! If you have any questions about how to use the site you can ask questions in the help forum. We are all here for community support :) so feel free to ask any questions relating to your injury.

I do not have deteriorating joints, but my wrist strength is weak and I feel pain in the location of the ulnar joint when I push beyond my limit. A number of years ago a doctor showed my dad a massage technique that he could do on my arm. It may be difficult to describe in words, but here goes: the person doing the massage grasps one side of the arm (radius bone) just above the wrist in one hand and the other side of the arm (ulna bone) just above the wrist with the other hand then gently puts pressure in opposing directions, pushing towards the elbow and pulling towards the wrist, then slowly reversed the pressure every few seconds.

It felt good when we were did it, but I admit that we eventually stopped and I haven't done it in a number or years. However you may find it helpful so I figured I would share it. Perhaps it will help keep your joint moving until you can figure out your next steps.
ASC
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: OBPI

Re: 28yr old living with Erbs needing aptis joint replacemnt

Post by ASC »

Instead of surgery and pills, please seek a occupational therapist for exercises and adaptive equipment. The brain is a complicated and interesting organ. By using the affected limb, impluses are sent to the brain, sometimes the message is returned to the limb, and movement may occur. One must be vigilant with the exercises.

Tony/ASC
ROBPI/Adult