Challenge your friends/family/classmates/coworkers...

Tell us your Awareness efforts!
hope16_05
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 28 years old with a right obstetrical brachial plexus injury. 5 surgeries to date with pretty decent results. Last surgery resolved years of pain in my right arm however, I am beginning my journey with overuse in my left arm

Challenge your friends/family/classmates/coworkers...

Post by hope16_05 »

Challenge your friends/family/classmates/coworkers and anyone else you can think of to keep one arm in their pocket all day so it is not very functional so they know what it is like to live a day in the life of a bpi person.

This could be a classroom activity to get other student to understand the limitations an injury could have on a child/adult.
Or another great way to make this happen is have a dinner party or something and guests must keep their arm in their pocket or tied/saftey pinned to their side or tummy (elbow contracture). Then serve food buffet style or foods that bpis struggle with such as chicken. This will inform others in a short amount of time what it is like to have a brachial plexus injury. When they come into your house make sure they remove their shoes...How will they put them back on? Who can get the most creative? Bet the bpi person wins ;)

Anyone willing to give this a try? I will!
Amy 21 years old ROBPI from MN
Amy 28 years old ROBPI from MN
veggiebug
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I weighed 11 lbs. 4 oz. when I was born.
I was delivered by forceps which resulted in my ROBPI.
I've never had any surgical intervention.

Re: Challenge your friends/family/classmates/coworkers...

Post by veggiebug »

I told my husband when he's ready to I'd love to do this with him. I was going to use an ace bandage and wrap his upper arm to his body. Maybe even put a wrist brace on his hand to limit him there a little too.

This would be so fun! Maybe once Jack's bigger I'll do this with Jon and Jack together.

Great idea.

-Traci
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Re: Challenge your friends/family/classmates/coworkers...

Post by Kath »

My PT suggested all parents use kinesio tape to put their arms in the same position as their children's.
He also suggested that the arm be tied to the waist and limited to the childs ROM. He was sure they would not last a day with their arms taped and tethered...

Kath robpi/adult
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi