I emailed the Medical Director, of WInchester Hospital

Tell us your Awareness efforts!
richinma2005
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Daughter Kailyn ROBPI, June 14, 1997.
Surgery with Dr Waters (BCH), April 1999 and in February 2012
2 more daughters, Julia (1999), Sarah(2002) born Cesarean.

I emailed the Medical Director, of WInchester Hospital

Post by richinma2005 »

This is where my daughter was injured. I asked what efforts they were making in regards to birth trauma in light of the studies published showing a major reduction in birth trauma injuries.

Dear Dr. McAlmon,

I recently came across an article on the government site, Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality that was very exciting. The web address is here:
http://www.innovations.ahrq.gov/content.aspx?id=2081.

It discusses the measures that some hospital facilities are incorporating to reduce the number of traumatic birth injuries, with the goal being Zero injuries. In large part they were successful, reducing the injury rate >90% by the end of the study.

I recently also saw that a larger study with similar goals is being developed (http://www.premierinc.com/about/news/08 ... inatal.jsp)

My daughter was born in WInchester Hospital in 1997 and sustained a permanent left brachial plexus injury. Since that time I have become very involved with the United Brachial Plexus Netwrok (ubpn.org). In fact I have recently been elected President for the all-volunteer group.

My interest lies in the prevention of these injuries, and I was hoping you could inform me on the status of Winchester Hospitals and it's affiliates efforts towards the reduction of these types of Birth Trauma. It is evident from the positive results that with proper training and reasonable safeguards these injuries could become truly rare, rather than the 3-4/1000 births they are today.

Kind Regards,

Rich Looby
President
UBPN

richard@ubpn.org
Reading, MA 01867