Sample Proclamation letter

Tell us your Awareness efforts!
hope16_05
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 28 years old with a right obstetrical brachial plexus injury. 5 surgeries to date with pretty decent results. Last surgery resolved years of pain in my right arm however, I am beginning my journey with overuse in my left arm

Sample Proclamation letter

Post by hope16_05 »

Many people are interested in writing to their senators to declare a proclamation for their states. Below is a sample letter that you can tweak and send to your state senator if a proclamation has not been requested as of now.

DATE HERE
YOUR SENATOR’S NAME HERE
SENATORS INFO HERE
Dear Mr./Mrs. SENATOR:

INTRO AS TO WHY YOU ARE SEEKING A PROCLAMATION
Brachial plexus injuries affect the network of nerves that control the muscles of the shoulder, arm, elbow, wrist, hand and fingers and can result in full to partial paralysis of one or both arms. This injury can occur as a result of trauma such as automobile; motorcycle or boating accidents; sports injuries ("burners" or "stingers"); animal bites; gunshot or puncture wounds; as a result of specific medical treatments / procedures / and surgeries or due to viral diseases. However, brachial plexus injuries occur most often during the birthing process. Approximately 2-5 per 1000 newborns are affected by brachial plexus injuries. Obstetrical injury can be prevented by careful monitoring of pregnant women exhibiting any or all of the documented risk factors associated with shoulder dystocia and brachial plexus birth injuries; and the proper use of recommended maneuvers during delivery of a shoulder dystocia baby can help prevent the occurrence of these injuries. Changing positioning during the first and second stages of labor can dramatically reduce the incidence of shoulder dystocia, thus eliminate the resulting complications.
Persons affected by brachial plexus injuries experience pain in muscle, joints and ligaments; weakness, atrophy and numbness of the affected limb; and sometimes respiratory difficulties as well. Persons affected by brachial plexus injuries can experience secondary issues which may include sensory integration, learning disabilities, low tone (hypotonia), developmental delays, speech dysfunction, chronic ear infections on the affected side, possible hearing loss, nail bed dysfunction, weakness of the foot on the affected side, postural issues that may eventually lead to scoliosis and other secondary health issues. This injury is a cradle to grave injury and requires a lifetime of care and compensation on the part of those injured and their families.
Brachial plexus injuries present unique challenges for all those affected, including challenges related to having the full use of only one arm as well as the challenges associated with having a disability of any kind in our contemporary society. Those affected by brachial plexus injuries often experience delayed diagnosis and lack of access to information related to current and ground-breaking treatment options, including surgical procedures available that could enhance function of the affected limb. Early intervention by specialized physicians and experienced occupational and physical therapists is essential for optimum functional improvement related to a brachial plexus injury. The lack of information related to current treatment protocol and outcome expectations for brachial plexus injuries hinders government agencies in their efforts to provide appropriate benefits and services to those in serious need;
The brachial plexus injury community are requesting your Proclamation declaring the third week in October as Brachial Plexus Injury Awareness Week to help inform and educate the general public, the medical community, and individuals with brachial plexus injuries and their families. With this proclamation we hope to increase understanding, prevention and awareness of brachial plexus injuries and ensure hope of a better future for people affected. Awareness of this injury is the key to Prevention.
Thank you for your support Mr./Mrs. SENATOR.
YOUR NAME HERE
YOUR CONTACT INFO HERE

Check this web site for your state's senators name and contact info: http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_i ... rs_cfm.cfm

I hope this helps all those that are willing to write letters to their senators for a state proclamation
Amy
Awareness Committee
Amy 28 years old ROBPI from MN
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Re: Sample Proclamation letter

Post by Carolyn J »

Thanks AMY!
I am going to try again this year. Your letter makes it easy for me.
HUgs,
Carolyn J
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI