Questions to ask before your next birth

Tell us your Awareness efforts!
Tanya in NY
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am Mom to Amber, injured at birth. I serve on the Board of Directors for UBPN, and am a labor/delivery nurse, too.

Questions to ask before your next birth

Post by Tanya in NY »

Hi everyone. I'm putting together a brochure for parents expecting another child after a previous delivery resulted in a bpi. I'm wondering if anyone has any specific questions that they wish they had asked their provider or questions they plan on asking before their next delivery? You can feel free to email me directly at tanya@ubpn.org with any of these questions or comments. Thanks in advance.

Tanya in NY
Amber's Mom, ROBPI, 7 years old
Tanya in NY
Amber's Mom, ROBPI, 13 years old
dayles3

Re: Questions to ask before your next birth

Post by dayles3 »

I am a mother of a 8 year old daughter with ROBPI and a 8 month old girl with ROBPI. I also have a 5 year old daughter with no birth injury. I have to strongly recommend that people discuss with their OB to have a C-section if they have previously had a baby with an injury. DO NOT make the same mistake I did. I did not insist on a c-section and I will forever regret this decision. I wasn't insistent enough and I trusted that it would be fine. I was wrong! Mothers and Fathers of OBPI children know more about this injury then their OB's do. Now I will do my best to make people aware of OBPI injuries so that no one has to go through what my family is. If you have told your OB make sure you discuss it with them at each prenatal visit as well so they don't forget!
Mzjelybely
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I have a brachial plexus injury from birth. I'm also now a birth doula educating women about preventing birth injuries.

Re: Questions to ask before your next birth

Post by Mzjelybely »

I'm a birth doula. I see births all the time and I also have a brachial plexus injury.

I think THE MOST IMPORTANT THING a woman needs to TELL (not ask) her doctor if she will be birthing in the hospital is that she will birth in the position she wants. The absolute best thing you can do to prevent this is by being in a good position. Cesarean births also produce brachial plexus injuries and the risk of injury is much higher with a cesarean than a vaginal birth in a proper position. If the doctor insists on doing the delivery with mom on her back (or even sitting up right - anything putting pressure on that tail bone), encourage finding a new care provider.

We should also be educating people on the value of having a midwife as a primary care provider for uncomplicated pregnancies.