School information sheet for older students

Tell us your Awareness efforts!
Cara
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: My oldest daughter suffered a LOBPI. We were sent home form the hospital without being told anything was wrong. She had nerve graft surgery at one year of age, tendon transfer and release at 3 1/2 yrs of age.

School information sheet for older students

Post by Cara »

OK the school lost my daughters 504 plan, we are going back to an IEP, but in the mean time the district moved her gifted and talented prgram to a new school so we are starting Wednesday at an new school with no 504 or IEP in place agggh. anyway i pulled up the info sheet and realized it is geared toward younger kids Would anyone be interested in a sheet geared more toward Jr High/Sr. High issues? I would be willing to put something together and would like ideas of what to include. Possibly it could be posted so when kids get into the upper grade levels we don't all have to recreate the wheel. It might also help give people ideas of what changes need to be made to 504's and IEP's when kids are transitioning out of elementary school. Sorry I am tired and rambling I guess I am asking is there an interest in this or would it be a waste of time?
richinma2005
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Daughter Kailyn ROBPI, June 14, 1997.
Surgery with Dr Waters (BCH), April 1999 and in February 2012
2 more daughters, Julia (1999), Sarah(2002) born Cesarean.

Re: School information sheet for older students

Post by richinma2005 »

I think it would be helpful, and I could look through my daughter's 504 and offer suggestions-she is entering 9th grade
Cara
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: My oldest daughter suffered a LOBPI. We were sent home form the hospital without being told anything was wrong. She had nerve graft surgery at one year of age, tendon transfer and release at 3 1/2 yrs of age.

Post by Cara »

Rich- I would appreciate anything you have. It seems like as the kids get older a lot of people drop off the boards. sorry it took me so long to get back to you on this. My youngest had her tonsils out in August and ended up in the hospital for a month. (She has multiple health issues, it just seems like we are getting back to normal now.)
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Cara & Rich, Is there a School Information Sheet now for Middle School and High School?? I remember someone asking recently.

I suggest having these School Information Papers printed out for Families attending Camp 2012.
....CARA, Is there any way you and Rosalynn & Ayn could come to Camp? There is a 'Gaggle" of girls their age who usually come to Camp.Please consider the Scholrship Program.It would be Life-Changing for Rosalynn and there's usually a "Sibs Only workshop.

HUGGZ all around,
"bossy" Gramma Carolyn J
LOBPI/73+ :) ;) 8-)
Cara

Post by Cara »

Carolyn-
I'll try to get something typed up, it might be helpful though for me to wait till we do Rosalynn's IEP transition meeting in the spring. We will be doing a tour of the Jr High with the gal that deals with orthopedic disablities (we are in a big school corporation and they actually have a person just for that) She is really great and use to dealing with kids with physical not cognative disablities so she has a really good perspective when it comes to issues that might cause Rosalynn problems. I would love for Rosalynn to go to camp and we were considering it before Dagny was born. Dagny is having open heart surgery in April to finish her heart repair. We will evaluate if she can get her trach out after that. I am hoping by the summer of 2013 we will be in a better position to travel with her.
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Do-ly noted and you are SOOO right on. St John is taking charge of our Dagney's surgery in April.
Gramma Carolyn J
LOBPI/73+
LeeAnneB

Post by LeeAnneB »

This would be so great. My daughter just entered 9th grade and I know it would be helpful.
richinma2005
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Daughter Kailyn ROBPI, June 14, 1997.
Surgery with Dr Waters (BCH), April 1999 and in February 2012
2 more daughters, Julia (1999), Sarah(2002) born Cesarean.

Post by richinma2005 »

I'll try and get the final one for this year posted by the weekend we just got it finalized.

rich