Camp UBPN 2007

Discuss Camp UBPN
njbirk

Camp UBPN 2007

Post by njbirk »

The crackle of pine needles underfoot.
The smell of fir and cedar.
The sight of the crisp evening sky spangled with stars.
AND the warmth of the smiles on the faces of friends & family.

Be prepared for all your senses to be awakened and soothed at UBPN's Camp 2007, which will be held at Camp Berachah in Auburn, Washington over Labor Day Weekend in 2007. Camp Berachah is approximately 30 miles from the Seattle airport.

The UBPN Board of Directors is working on programs and activities to make the camp a memorable experience for everyone in your family.

As with previous camps, this camp has hotel like rooms (with their own bathrooms) and lots of outdoor activities (including indoor heated swimming pool, therapeutic horseback riding, a climbing wall, and exclusively at this camp -- go karts and a zip line challenge).

We will be working on the perfect combination of activities and programs for all members of the family with lots of opportunities for both kids and adults to play together and learn more about brachial plexus injuries.

We will have more information available in the coming months and will have registration information available in the spring Outreach.

Cost figures have not yet been finalized but we anticipate that this camp will be comparable and maybe even cheaper in cost than the previous one.

We know that travel to Washington state will be quite a trek for some of you. We encourage you to think of combining camp with a vacation and extend your stay in the beautiful Pacific Northwest either before or after camp.

Mark your calendars now!
See you at Camp 2007.

Nancy Birk, UBPN President
Karen McClune, Camp UBPN 2007 Coordinator
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Re: Camp UBPN 2007

Post by Carolyn J »

YIPPEE!!!

Ya'll Come!! I am R-E-A-D-Y to meet & GREET you!!
HUGS< HUGS,HUGS
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
Tacoma WA ['bout 18 miles from Auburn as the crow flies!]

PS...THANK YOU Nancy and Karen for all of your hard work!!!
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
SandiR

Post by SandiR »

I'm sooooo excited! Cant wait!!!!! Miss you all, and I look forward to seeing you again. Hope gas prices stay down....he he he. Sandi
Joanie

Post by Joanie »

Nancy, Karen and anyone else who worked on Camp 2007,

Thank you so much for all your hard work. I'm not a camper in the traditional sense, but this place sounds good. My first thought was that I love the name of the camp! :-)

Joanie
Mandie

Post by Mandie »

Are all of the camps up north?
njbirk

Post by njbirk »

Mandie,

We try to move camp around the country but are dependent upon camps that can handle a large group (250 people) and have room for activities/programs and we have found that they are fairly limited in number. Our previous camps have been:

2005 -- Washington D.C.
2003 -- Silver Lake (Adirondacks), NY
2001 -- Rocky Mountains, CO

We are looking into camps for 2009 already. If you have a suggestion for a specific camp that might meet our needs, we will check it out. Send info on to me (nancy@ubpn.org) or to Karen (karen@ubpn.org)

Nancy Birk
UBPN President
Mandie

Post by Mandie »

There is no place in MY town, we only have 12,000 people lol. But I am sure there are places in Texas or Arkansas or even Tennesse. There might even be a place in Baton Rouge, La. I hate to be a pest about it, but not everyone is able to travel that far north.

Just giving ideas.

Thanks,

Mandie

I will look into places and send my ideas, if I find any.
brandonsmom

Post by brandonsmom »

Definately interested in finding out the cost.....hoepfully our group(family) will finally make it to "CAMP" I know that Brandon would love it !!!! GAYLE
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

I actually had to have my arm twisted to go to Camp for the first time.
I was on UBPN BOD so I had to go to help.
I was sure it was not for me...
I had so much FUN I could not believe what a wonderful experience it was.
I met so many families and adults both obpi/tbpi and we had such great meetings.

I wish that there was a camp when I was young.
It would have been great for my mother and for the rest of our family.
It was quite a healing experience for me.
I never thought I need any healing, I was fine... hmmm

I can't wait for this camp.
I am looking forward to see the beautiful state of Washington and compare it to NY.

Kath (adult/robpi)
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Mornin' Everyone,
I cannot find words to really describe the healing and wholeness I got attending Camp 2005. It was my 1st Camp after finding UBPN in 2004 at age 65. It also gave me such JOY in many ways...one was seeing children of all ages with OBPI's smiling and coming out of their shells and see their eyes lighting up when coming next to someone else with an injury similar to theirs & their compassion when seeing someone with more servere injuries than their own. BOY! do I wish there had been a Camp like UBPN's when I was young.I would like to think it would have helped everyone in my family too in MANY ways,ESPECIALLY my Mother(besides me).

HUGS,
Carolyn J
LOBPI

Message was edited by: Carolyn J
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI