let's give thanks!

Discuss Camp UBPN
Kimberly

Re: let's give thanks!

Post by Kimberly »

I want to say Thank you to all of the BOD!! You are a great group! I love all of you!! And Brittany does too! She never forgets any of you from camp to camp!

Before UBPN, we were a part of a support group in Texas, and attend two camps with them. Then, with UBPN, this was our fourth camp to attend. I have to say that this was the BEST so far. It was awesome seeing the children playing together and bonding so quickly! These are lifetime friends!! They know they don't have to hide anything or try to act different in anyway. They can just be 100% themselves. It is BEAUTIFUL!!

Please, don't get me wrong when I say this, but now that I have dealt with Brittany having this injury for 10 years, I have realized one very important reason for being a part of this group. I saw moms that have so much pain because this injury is all new to them. So many unanswered questions. So many decisions to make. I can now be there for those moms to talk to, to lean on. I can very easily talk about what Brittany and us have gone through. I want them to see that their children will be strong individuals. I want to be encouragement and strength for all of these hurting moms. I now see that this is a part of God's plan for Brittany and I. I hate that we have to wait 2 more years for Camp 2009!

Karen - thanks for coordinating this awesome camp! The location was great! The weather was great! The activities were great! And there was the Country Store where I could get my daily Mocha fix!!

Rich - I really enjoyed talking with you. And thanks for carrying our bags in and getting us situated! Your daughter is just a beautiful princess!

Julia and Peggy - we go a long way back! But I really enjoyed hanging out with you this year! Your families are awesome! Josh has come a long way!

Ryan and Courtney - I am so glad we really got to talk and hang out this year, too! You two amaze me! Thank you for sharing things with us and our kids! Ryan, you were awesome on the Segway!! You need one!!

Cathy - your daughters are just gorgeous!! Alyssa has come so far! I wish her the best on the golf team! Please let us know how she does!

Amy, Alyssa, Scott, and Chris - thank you for the sports info! I was just in awe watching you! And most of all, it was you that gave our kids encouragement that they can play sports!!

Dr. Beck - Thank you for taking the time to talk to us moms and to gather information for your study. Thank you for caring so much about our community!!

Lisa - Thank you for finding Dr. Beck and bringing her to camp! Tanner is so cute! I enjoyed talking with you and Pete!

Thank you to all of the families that came to be a part of Camp 2007 and to make it a huge success!! Thank you to all of the injured that make all of us stronger because of your strength. You are all beautiful and perfect in my eyes!

Tim - I can't wait to see all of the pictures! Thank you for printing off so many that we got to take home. It was great to have pictures of Brittany at events that I wasn't at since I was at something else. I will post ours soon! Haven't even downloaded them yet.

We are looking forward to Florida!

Kimberly
PeggyF

Post by PeggyF »

I echo everyone's sentiments here and I would love to THANK EVERYONE by name--but that would take forever...

As I stated somewhere in a post yesterday, the UBPN BOD and everyone who attended made camp so worth it! I HUGE THANK YOU TO ALL!

I know that camp takes a lot of planning, effort, expense (to name just a few things). I have to say it was a relief mixed with a little bit of sadness that I wasn't involved with the planning this time, but the result was fabulous :)
I have always, and will always, consider y'all my extended family--both the BOD and the community.

I'm actually still processing everything (things are non stop since we got home--school, soccer...and all the other ins & outs of life)

Take care & stay in touch!
Peggy
Joanie

Post by Joanie »

Even without children going back to school, this is a very busy time of year for me. I haven't been on the message boards since yesterday morning, and look at all I've missed! I can't thank everyone individually, so I'll have to just say thank you to everyone who helped to put this camp together. For whatever you did to help, even if it was just being there, thank you.

Joanie
njbirk

Post by njbirk »

THANKS to everyone both at camp and especially those who could not come to camp who purchased a tree in our family tree project. We raised $788 and created a huge forest at the Closing Ceremony. As the children came into the amphitheater carrying many many trees, John and Kath read off the names. Tim then led the campers in singing while Rich played the guitar. We sang the traditional folk song 'And the green grass grew all around'. Everytime the word 'tree' was sung, the kids would raise their trees in the air. It was super and we'll be sharing photos soon.

Nancy
Son_of_Atenhouse

Post by Son_of_Atenhouse »

Hey all.

I'd like to extend my thanks out to Nancy, Karen, Elyssa, Amy, Courtney, and Joe. Nancy and Karen are the reason why this camp was possible. Elyssa, Amy, Courtney and Joe for hanging around with me; not to mention them helping me make my meeting possible by contributing potential ideas for the group.

I would also like to thank Ryan for letting everyone ride the Segway. It was a blast for a bunch of people, I assure you. :P

It was awesome meeting up with old friends and making new ones. I really enjoyed myself. See everyone in '09!

-- Josh.
PeggyF

Post by PeggyF »

We enjoyed your participation this year, too, Josh!
Geese--next time don't be so shy ;)
njbirk

Post by njbirk »

THANKS to everyone who donated to the Camp Sponsorship Fund for Camp. Through the generosity of others, 6 families were able to attend camp who would not have been able to come otherwise. The impact on lives is priceless.

Nancy
Judy-T
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Right arm OBPI One surgery at age 40 Ulnar nerve retransposition

Post by Judy-T »

I would like to thank Cathy Kanter for her vision and reality of camp. I also would like to thank Nancy. In her opening statement about camp she said to try something that you have never done before,well I did! I climbed that tree and went down the zip line!! I never thought that I would be able to do that. I got over my fear of heights and went for it. What meant so much to me is Alyssa. She told me that I inspired her to do the zip line! I was thankful for meeting new friends;Chris, Marieke and Baily. Baily really had me in tears when she rang that bell on top of the wall.
I also enjoyed playing BPI water volleyball. It was a blast. Thank you Kate for showing my triceps!
Thank you fellow board members for such a successful camp!!
I hope to see all of you in Florida in 2009.
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Post by marieke »

Judy, we did great at BPI volleyball! LOL.. it sure was fun meeting you and talking with you. Did you see the pic I have of you and Kate with the Myotrac?
Miss you already! Can't wait to see you in 2009!
Marieke :)
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com