Ideas for Programs for Camp 2009

Discuss Camp UBPN
karategirl1kyu
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, had surgery when I was 9- they moved muscles and tendons from one side of my arm to the other side. I can lift my arm to about my eye level, can't straigten it all the way and can't completely supinate my wrist.

Re: Ideas for Programs for Camp 2009

Post by karategirl1kyu »

I've never been to one before, and i hope ill be able to attend. When is it supposed to be again (is the date definite- if i ask for it off now... ill be more likely to get it!)
~mel
~Mel/23/LOBPI
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Post by marieke »

Columbus Day weekend 2010
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com
karategirl1kyu
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, had surgery when I was 9- they moved muscles and tendons from one side of my arm to the other side. I can lift my arm to about my eye level, can't straigten it all the way and can't completely supinate my wrist.

Post by karategirl1kyu »

saturday thru monday or friday thru monday??
~Mel/23/LOBPI
richinma2005
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Daughter Kailyn ROBPI, June 14, 1997.
Surgery with Dr Waters (BCH), April 1999 and in February 2012
2 more daughters, Julia (1999), Sarah(2002) born Cesarean.

Post by richinma2005 »

October 8th-11th
karategirl1kyu

Post by karategirl1kyu »

I cant wait, but i have two worries... i dont know how to get from airport to camp... and i dont really know anyone (i kind of get upset in large groups of people that i dont know), so if theres a shuttle im saved (im too young to rent a car!!) and if i could get to know some of you better... i probably wont cry! lol, i know i may sound childish, but thats how i get!! :lol:
~Mel/23/LOBPI
marieke
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Post by marieke »

There was a shuttle for the last camp, and people often offer to pick others up at the Airport. I knew no one last time, online from talking to people on here. I was shy at first but quickly overcame that. You talk to us all here and we are pretty much the same face to face :)
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
karategirl1kyu

Post by karategirl1kyu »

Ill hopefully be ok! haha, im such a dork sometimes!! but i definitely can't wait!!
~Mel/23/LOBPI
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Dear Mel,
I promise you no one will be unmet at the airport. Shuttling just one of millions of details that Rich & the Board of Directors
plan and plan and Plan for us all. AND they are all unpaid volunteers and also pay their way there too!!!

Save!
Carolyn J

I can't wait!!! :mrgreen:
patpxc
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: C-5 and C-6. Unable to supinate. Contracture elbow. Wrist bone underdeveloped.
Can raise forearm to mouth level. shoulder is limited in movement. Unable to put arm behind back. Secondary- early arthritis, carpal tunnel, pronator syndrome,scoliosis

Post by patpxc »

I am not comfortable around groups of people either--but am curious as to where it may be held. I'd like to attend just for a day. Any ideas?
thanks
Pat
marieke

Post by marieke »

in Missouri... I think they posted where exactly before, but can't find it now.
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI