Is 6 too young for camp?

Discuss Camp UBPN
myhumanrevolution
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Son with ROBPI Global

Is 6 too young for camp?

Post by myhumanrevolution »

Hi everyone!

It's been forever since I've been here. I like the new look of the site.

I have a 6 year old boy who is ROBPI. Is 6 too young for camp? I of course would come with him.

Jennie
Judy-T
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Right arm OBPI One surgery at age 40 Ulnar nerve retransposition

Re: Is 6 too young for camp?

Post by Judy-T »

Your 6 year old will have a blast at camp. He will get to meet other kids and adults with the same injury and there will be plenty of activities for him to do. It is such an experience for the kids and the adults with this injury.In the past camps I have climbed a rock wall, went on a zip line, and went canoeing. The parents learn alot too. I wish that there was a camp like this when I was a child! I thought I was all alone until I met Kath and Nancy at a picnic.That was over 10 years ago. I say definitely bring him to camp!

Judy (ROBPI)49
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

Six is a great age for camp. Camp with other bpi injured is such a healing experience for both children and adults. Ten years ago my healing process began when I met Judy and Nancy. We understand each other without words and can laugh at things that others really don't understand.

The children don't know how to express their feelings when it comes to being different. But going to camp and meeting others with this injury, increases their confidence. It gives them a place to ask questions of adults, who have lives a lifetime with this injury. It also shows them that this injury should not hold them back from being all the want to be.

You will see some amazing changes in your child at the end of camp. Camp is also a good place to bring siblings. Sometimes parents don't realize how hard this injury is on siblings. This is not just an arm injury it injures the entire family. The time and energy devoted to the child with a bpi, is taken from the rest of the family and sometimes causes resentments that the siblings often feel guilty about and won't express....

What I'm trying to say is, that this should be a must on every bpi child's therapy.
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

I3rd both Judy & Kath!!! .
UBPN is Life-changing too....me :mrgreen:
Carolyn J
LOBPI/72
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
Tanya in NY
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am Mom to Amber, injured at birth. I serve on the Board of Directors for UBPN, and am a labor/delivery nurse, too.

Post by Tanya in NY »

6 is a great age for camp. My 7 year old daughter will be attending with me. Come on and enjoy the fun!

Tanya in NY
Amber's mom, ROBPI, 7 years old
Tanya in NY
Amber's Mom, ROBPI, 13 years old