CAMP 2010

Discuss Camp UBPN
richinma2005
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Daughter Kailyn ROBPI, June 14, 1997.
Surgery with Dr Waters (BCH), April 1999 and in February 2012
2 more daughters, Julia (1999), Sarah(2002) born Cesarean.

CAMP 2010

Post by richinma2005 »

Well, I hope anyone who wants to experience camp is able to try and make it to Trout Lodge during Columbus Day weekend 2010. Hosting camp is a difficult process that takes alot of time and resources for UBPN-who is a 100% volunteer organization. (Any UBPN member coming to camp is paying 100% of the cost-always have). We bring in people from around the country to speak and offer great opportunities to meet others experiencing the injury. The demonstrations are always well received and the bonds that are formed are wonderful.

Camp is not necessarily going to be offered again. If we do not at least break even (we have not broken even in past 2 camps) then it would be difficult for us to justify continuing the experience. Part of the reason the prices are slightly higher, is because we could not afford to subsidize the event to the extent that we have in the past. Although we have received some wonderful donations for camp, the majority of donations to UBPN are not earmarked for camp, and cannot be used for that. Donations received from camp donors are earmarked for scholarships to subsidize those in need. Donations from others is being used to assist some of our presenters, ensuring we bring in some great speakers-although many have paid their way in the past, we cannot always expect that to be the case.

So hopefully we will meet our break-even and camp will be offered again. Or perhaps we will have a wonderful fundraiser that will pay for half of camp and we can drastically reduce the cost....Community fundraisers would certainly help!!
:)

Looking forward to CAMP 2010 Find Your Way!!!
Judy-T
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Right arm OBPI One surgery at age 40 Ulnar nerve retransposition

Re: CAMP 2010

Post by Judy-T »

Very good point Rich. As having volunteered for this organization for 6 plus years, I do not think that alot of people realize the effort it takes to put a camp together. We put alot of time and effort to try and make things happen. I realize that alot of people cannot afford camp, that is why it was post poned for a year,to give people time to save up. I know that some complained about location and this location was picked to satisfy this problem. It is in the center of the U.S. I will try and be at this camp also. It is one of the best experiences a BPI can ask for. I have learned so much meeting other people and have tried new things that I would have never done. I climbed a tree and jumped off of a zip line, climbed a rock wall, and had a great time playing water volleyball with an exclusive BPI group. The panels have had great speakers in the past and I am sure they will be great at this camp. I will try and find my way! Hope to see y'all there!

Judy 49(ROBPI)
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

Losing camp would be a great loss to bpi families. My husband and I worked on 8 years of camps and attend them. We were happy to volunteer our vacation time to work at camp and meet with so many families.

I don't think people realize that it is a year long project and that planning takes a great deal of time, energy and dedication to pull off a great camp experience. UBPN camps have taught so many of us so much about our injuries along with workshops to support Mothers, Fathers, Spouses and most of all Siblings. One of the best workshops for children is the Injuredonly. It has been an amazing experience to have adult/obpi and children sit in a room and share our experiences. The children open up about things that worry them and we as adults can share that nothing stops us. It was an amazing experience for me. The workshops along with the medical speakers have truly helped the bpi community to live better, stronger and more confident with this life long injury. Most of all meeting so many bpi injured and their family has been a very rewarding experience. I only wish that I had the opportunity to meet others with bpi when I was a child. You see the children open up and just gain sooo much confidence from being with the other obpi children. It is so good for their ego and self-esteem.

Many people have suffered financial losses during the past two years. As a result of these losses so have many charity organizations and I'm sure UBPN is one of the many. UBPN does not get any government subsidies etc. and most people do not realize how much UBPN Board of Directors spend, of their own money, to work for the community. I think there may be some who are disappointed that the money is not their for financial aid for camp. For years our hopes (when I was on the BOD) was to hold cam free. If people cannot make camp, perhaps they would be willing to send a few dollars to subsidise the cost of camp and maybe a few scholarships.

I've probably said way to much but I feel that camp is so important for bpi families.

Still hoping we will make it to camp this year.
Kath
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

I am spreading the word with all my contacts to ask for donations specifcally for CAMP 2010.
HUGS TO ALL BOD'S!!!
Carolyn J :cry:
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
karategirl1kyu
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, had surgery when I was 9- they moved muscles and tendons from one side of my arm to the other side. I can lift my arm to about my eye level, can't straigten it all the way and can't completely supinate my wrist.

Post by karategirl1kyu »

this is going to be my first camp, i just hope its not going to be my last!
~Mel/23/LOBPI
claudia

Post by claudia »

Yes, Camp is a long process. It is rather time consuming. However, I took on Camp as a labor of love. I have attended and worked at 2 Camps and they each had a huge effect on me and my family.

I know times are tough, as they are for me and my family. But Camp can give you more than you think.

We have set up a fabulous Camp. We have new speakers: Drs. Tung, Armenta and Berzin. We have and OT and a PT. We have an SSI/SSD Attorney coming to help you understand how to navigate Social Security. And we have something truly special: BPI Adults who have followed their passion and become musicians, athletes, successful people...they will be sharing their stories about how they Found their Way...

The location is beautiful, with lots to do.

Like I said, this is a labor of love, based on my incredible experiences at previous Camps. btw, my bpi daughter is barely able to contain her excitement over going to Camp again.

claudia strobing
camp coordinator
mollysmom

Post by mollysmom »

Hi Rich!

We have never participated in a UBPN camp. Can you please tell me more about the program?

Thank you,
Dawn
claudia

Post by claudia »

Dawn:
Camp is a 3 day affair filled with activities, meeting people, and learning.

We have doctors, therapists, an ssi/ssd attorney and inspirational speakers coming to give information and inspire learning about bpi. We have roundtable discussion times for moms, dads, siblings, injured only which give an opportunity to share experiences. We have the activities available at the camp. Meals together, down time together.

For the injured, it is a rare opportunity to be with so many other people who are injured and to NOT have people ask "what is wrong with your arm?"

For the families of the injured it is a rare opportunity to be with people who know how your are feeling.

I love camp, so does my family.

I hope you will come!!

claudia strobing