Who's going to camp?

Discuss Camp UBPN
sydsmom

Who's going to camp?

Post by sydsmom »

I was just wondering if we had an approximate number of how many people are going to camp this year. I haven't signed up yet because it sounds like a lot of people are skipping it this time. My daughter is 11 and is really looking forward to it, but I'm afraid there is only going to be a few people there and she won't have much fun if that's the case.
richinma2005
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Daughter Kailyn ROBPI, June 14, 1997.
Surgery with Dr Waters (BCH), April 1999 and in February 2012
2 more daughters, Julia (1999), Sarah(2002) born Cesarean.

Re: Who's going to camp?

Post by richinma2005 »

Me and my daughter Kailyn (13) will be going
karategirl1kyu
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, had surgery when I was 9- they moved muscles and tendons from one side of my arm to the other side. I can lift my arm to about my eye level, can't straigten it all the way and can't completely supinate my wrist.

Post by karategirl1kyu »

I'll be there, ill be 23 then :mrgreen:
~Mel/23/LOBPI
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

I have personally heard from a number of Moms who have girls around your daughter's age who are attending CAMP this year. ...'cause I "Adopt" all BPI children I can as "MY Grands" as my dear son isn't married yet.

GO & have a Ball! It IS Life-changing for both parents and children who attend.

Carolyn J
LOBPI/72
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
mamaofsix
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Second son, Cameron, left obstetric brachial plexus injury in 2005.
Primary never graft surgery at 3 months old at St. Louis Children's Hospital
and several rounds of Botox injections.

Post by mamaofsix »

My husband I will be there with our 2 boys (5 and 2).

There are several families attending this year and more still registering! I think you will have a blast (not to mention being greatly encouraged by some excellent inspirational speakers with brachial plexus injuries!) Not everyone that has registered visits the boards often, so although this will give you an idea of who is coming that is on the boards, there are many that are not.

You definitely won't be bored!

Anise Braggs
Camp Coordinator
karenr

Post by karenr »

My daughter Elizabeth (just turned 12), my husband and I are going! We're looking forward to the YMCA setting; the camp looks beautiful. My daughter is crazy about horses and I saw that they have different horse activities so I'll probably let her do at least one. I'm hoping there is a discussion group with her age group. I think she'll really benefit from this camp because she's cognizant of her injury and limitations although it doesn't stop her from doing much. I'm looking forward to camp as much as she is!
Jennifer P
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI

Post by Jennifer P »

I will be there this year. Looking forward to it!
KimW
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: My daughter has a right obstetrical injury. She is 16.
Two surgeries include nerve graft and muscle release.
A great kid that plays soccer, rides horses, plays the piano
and clarinet.

Post by KimW »

My daughter, Cameron, and I will be attending camp. She will be 12 next month. I think your daughter will have a great time. There are at least three girls her age that will be in attendance! Hope you can come. If nothing else, it is a wonderful opportunity to bond and spend quality time with your daughter!
Kim West
"Children are likely to live up to what you believe of them." Lady Bird Johnson
F-Litz
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, LTBPI at age 6.5, Sensory Issues, CP, Diaphragm Weakness, Aspberger's

Post by F-Litz »

we're going and Maia is 12 and in need of connecting with others her age who have bpi.... please come -- I think it's so important for the kids to meet and talk with each other about "stuff" - especially at this age
Tanya in NY
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am Mom to Amber, injured at birth. I serve on the Board of Directors for UBPN, and am a labor/delivery nurse, too.

Post by Tanya in NY »

My daughter Amber (7 years old) and I will be at camp again this year. See you then!

Tanya in NY
Amber's Mom, ROBPI, 7 years old
Tanya in NY
Amber's Mom, ROBPI, 13 years old