Jen's UBPN Camp 2010 Blog

Discuss Camp UBPN
Jennifer P
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI

Re: Jen's UBPN Camp 2010 Blog

Post by Jennifer P »

SUNDAY
After what felt like the longest Saturday ever, Sunday arrived. We woke up early because A) I wanted a hot shower and B) we had to get to breakfast earlier because we wanted to go find the "real" geocache out by the entrance to the lodge.

After that Vik and I did paddle boats and Mel went to kayak. Bad Idea for Mel, but good photo opp for me! She went in for a splash, tee-hee!

After she got soaked she decided to not kayak and instead went and changed. Once Vik and I got back to the dock we headed out for Pine's Peak, which was pretty far from the lodge so we left a little early. We made a pit stop at the horse corral and said hello to the cute ponies. Then on to the rock wall. That was fun but so hard. I've never done a rock wall that was completely vertical, and that is what this was. Thankfully they guys working the belay were able to hold me for a little bit so I could take a break halfway.

After that we dropped Mel's clothes at the laundromat on site and she was able to dry her clothes. Then we stopped at the general store for an ice cream treat! We had a tiny break and then it was on to the zip line! We had to climb what was basically a telephone pole — not fun after wasting my energy at the rock wall!!! But we all did it!!!!! :!: The zip line was well worth it and was our last strenuous activity of the day.

We showed up to our archery balloon pop a little late, but we still got to shoot a few times. I ended up with a nasty bruise on my right arm, but when we got home last night I took a bath with epsom salts and it's almost gone (as well as the rest of my soreness!).

We ended the night with dinner and a little karaoke then the adults went to room 207 to hang out with Lisa and Jeff. It was fun to finally hang out and talk about everything but BPI.

...And a BIG shoutout to Mel for helping me to remember everything!
Last edited by Jennifer P on Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
marieke
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Post by marieke »

With "adult" beverages :)
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com
Jennifer P

Post by Jennifer P »

AKA "Party Favors" LOL!
Jennifer P

Post by Jennifer P »

(post removed: contained personal information)
Last edited by Jennifer P on Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Thanks sooo much Jen and Mel! 8-) You did get all the fun stuff!! I hope to join you on the chat wednesday! Did Vik have a good time too? I love that Vik & Jon Foster went with you.
Hugs all around,
Carolyn J :mrgreen:
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
Jennifer P

Post by Jennifer P »

Yep, Vik had a great time too!
karategirl1kyu
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, had surgery when I was 9- they moved muscles and tendons from one side of my arm to the other side. I can lift my arm to about my eye level, can't straigten it all the way and can't completely supinate my wrist.

Post by karategirl1kyu »

oh yeah.. find me on facebook too!!!

www.facebook.com/CutDeeperStill

and yes i accidentally went swimming... that was ummm... interesting? lol my shoes were wet til the end of the day!! and jen you forgot our ceramics while vik was in the spouses round table!!! we pained some cool stuff! :)
~Mel/23/LOBPI
Jennifer P

Post by Jennifer P »

I didn't forget it; it's there under Saturday ;)
Jennifer P

Post by Jennifer P »

I forgot to mention about the song by Cary Braggs — You Don't Have to Walk Alone. It pretty much became our anthem of the weekend! If anyone wants the song that didn't come to camp let me or Anise/Cary Braggs know!
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

Thanks Jen for filling us in on Camp activities from the adult/bpi view.

Camp has always been a rewarding experience for me and for my husband. We learned so much each time we attended and met so many wonderful people. I am so happy that you got so much out of camp and it was such a great experience for you. UBPN BOD always works so hard trying to make each camp a great experience for everyone. When you and others post about how much you enjoyed it, it makes all the work worthwhile.

The Campsite looks beautiful and the weather was so great for all of you. The bonds you made at camp will be something you will always treasure. I met my first OBPI in 1999 when Judy, Nancy, Ryan,David and I decided to go to a FL picnic for families and kids.... It was such a great life altering experience... I'm really so happy all of you had such a great time. Kudos to the BOD and Camp Coordinators and to all the great people who attend camp.

I love being at the Injured Only workshop. I could hear the joy in the kids voices as the spoke... I really missed not being there because I ran the injured only so many times and found it such a rewarding experience. I was truly touch to be included.
:P Kath
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi