martial arts??????

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
admin
Site Admin

Re: martial arts??????

Post by admin »

Janet,

YES I am scared to death. But she can have an accident happen anywhere at anytime. I think that we have to let our kids experience things and minimize risks as much as we can but there are certain risks you cannot avoid. Honestly, there is more risk at t-ball then there is at Aikido! I'm sweatin' bullets much more at t-ball - kids are getting hurt every single week there!

In our dojo (school) I was told that in Aikido -for anybody- they will put a big red X in tape on the part of the body that is injured and every student is supposed to know not to go near the red X. So instead of a big red X - I painted on gold hearts all over her sleeve. Rather than calling it her BAD arm, they call it the "be careful arm" and they remind the students.

There are NO competitions in Aikido so nobody will be judging her or coming at her to potentially knock her block off!

I like the idea that she is learning how to fall using NO hands, they roll and jump up using no hands. They spend a great deal of time on this actually. I also like that she is learning to BLOCK a potential attacker. This will teach her how to protect her arm more for when she gets older and has to deal with other social and physical situations with kids.

she is also learning a fast way to get out of the way while on her knees or low to the ground. This is called Shiko Walking and after some practice she will be as fast on her knees as she is on her feet and it does not involve her hands or arms in any way.

Maybe you and your husband can go see a dojo sometime and see how Aikido differs from what your husband does.
dmom

Post by dmom »

Wow! You learn something new every day. I love that big red X thing! That is such a great idea. Thanks for sharing! I'll keep it in mind.

Janet
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

bump
CW1992

Post by CW1992 »

I just wanted to join in here - martial arts, soccer, football, softball, volleyball - whatever.... I think the child should decide their own capabilities. Brittney is now in soccer again ( swim team is over and soccer is still going on but she's on a new soccer team this year. She is 13 and will be playing 15 year olds this year and she is a small kid and she might get hurt - but that is what she loves!!!! How could I tell her that because of her arm she shouldn't play something that makes her so happy?? She wanted PINK soccer shoes this season, and has her new Nike ball, and if she does get hurt she knows that she was out there and trying and doing what she loves. She's gotten crunched many times on the field, she she has been on the bottom of a pile up of players many times, did a COMPLETE (360) flip once over another player who slide tackled her and if she would get hurt we'd get her immediatately to a doctor. It is a risk that I am willing to take because I know how much soccer means to her and I do not want to hold her back from the things that she loves and yes I am VERY scared - every practice and every game - but she isn't!!! Anyway - the look on her face and the pride in her eyes for being TOUGH - it is worth any risk to me and life should not be about the arm but about what makes you happy. If the child decides that martial arts are too hard they will tell you... we've gone thru many sports until we found the ones that work.
Christy
kd's daddy

Post by kd's daddy »

That a girl Britt score a few for us. Thats awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!
PinkFlamingo

Post by PinkFlamingo »

Thanks! I love playing soccer even though I get knocked around sometimes.=) Having an injury should never stop you from doing something that you love. Just make sure your kid knows how to stand up for themself. If the instructer isn't looking and somebody grabs their arm they should say "get your hands off me"=).

I say if they want to do it, let them do it!

Brittney, 13
Tanner's Mom

Post by Tanner's Mom »

Hi Brittney!!! :)

So glad to see you posting! I saw PinkFlamingo and of course I knew it was you right away. I am sooooo happy I had the honor of doing the Pink Flamingo with you. You are such an AMAZING young woman and I am so glad we got to spend some time together. Miss you guys!

Big hugs to you,
Lisa :)
Amanda's mommy

Post by Amanda's mommy »

my daughter, amanda, is 22 months with LBPI. her therapist has highly recommended gymnastics. we also took her for a second opinion and that surgeon also recommended gymnastics. what we were basically told was any weight bearing activity will help her arm to become as normal as it can. unfortunately, there idea of normal is the possibility of her left arm growing 8-10% shorter.

amanda has been in gymnastics for about 4 months now. i do notice when she hangs on the bar that her left arm is straight and her right arm is slightly bent. it breaks my heart to see that, but hopefully it will help.

does anyone have any other suggestions?
Amanda's mommy

Post by Amanda's mommy »

brit,

you seem to be a high spirited girl. you have given me such motivation in the very few days i have been posting.

thanks!
PeggyUBPN

Post by PeggyUBPN »

I think it would be great therapy; Emma (now 9 yrs, ROBPI) tried Karate a couple of years ago, but got frustrated because she couldn't do what other kids were doing with their arms. She also would rather do horseback riding....

Peggy