My newborn's brachial plexus injury

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
admin
Site Admin

Re: My newborn's brachial plexus injury

Post by admin »

I am worried that Dominic/Gilbert is either false, or worse has withdrawn. I wrote very politiely and supportively to Dominic several times via his email address, yet he seems to have vanished....
Gilbert

My newborn's brachial plexus injury

Post by Gilbert »

Hi,
Here I will share my experience with BP involving my firstborn daughter

My daughter was born 3weeks ago and diagnosed with a brachial plexus injury due to the delivery process. It was tight, and the doctor had to pull on her head with both hands with her foot pushing on the bed for more support. I almost passed out at the sight of it. But hey, this lady has helped delivering 3000+ newborns, who am i to say anything.

Very quickly, it is evident that her left arm isn't moving properly. She also has some blue spots on the back of her left shoulder. However, radios show no signs of broken bones. We are not anxious yet, she's only days old and the hospital people confidently tell us that physical therapy will bring her arm back 100%.

After 2 weeks me and my girlfriend are getting very concerned. She recovered some strenght at flexing her arm down using her triceps, and pretty much full movement of her hand. But her biceps is not moving at all.

It seems to me that the hospital people are keeping us in the dark and offering very little information. They say to keep doing her physical exercices and even go as far as telling me that her biceps is working a little bit. I think this is a placebo technique they are playing on us. If we think it can move, we will do everything to get it moving. But i know for a fact that it doesnt move at all.

Helplessness transforms into anger, i'd like to point the finger at someone (mainly the doctor). Evidently that wasn't going to get her arm moving again. So i went surfing on the net and found this website, and a lot of information. I am now much more informed about the solutions available. I didn't even know surgical procedures were sometimes performed for this.

Me and my girlfriend are both involved in competitive sports, so the prospect of our daughter having to deal with physical impairement is very heavy on us.

I'd love to hear from someone who went thru a similar experience

Dominic

Last bumped by Anonymous on Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:34 pm.