My son has Sensory Issues & needs help to get approved for Special Ed

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Re: My son has Sensory Issues & needs help to get approved for Special Ed

Post by Carolyn J »

Evee,
Sensory Intergration Dysfunction issues can be a big Secondary Medical Issue for us OBPI-ers and I will try bring up the Topic Threads for you. There are many discussions about this and information about getting tested for this and documenting for School Districts, Teachers, etc.

Carolyn J
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
evee

Post by evee »

Hi Carolyn,

My son was examined by a rehab doctor and diagnosed with sensory processing disorder. The therapist werent sure. And the school district didnt see any signs of the sensory issues. He has all the symptoms. I just dont know what to do. I am going crazy at home with him jumping, screaming, playing rough, and throwing things. He also has a very bad temper and has severe behavior problems. Those are the major symptoms. There are other minor - moderate symptoms.

I hope that I can get some answers. He really wants to go to school really bad.

thanks
evee
brandonsmom

Post by brandonsmom »

Evee,
My son who is 8 1/2 has Sensory disorder, but we didn't find this out until he was in second grade. In first grade they called it an "ADD" problem, but weren't too concerned because it wasn't so bad. But in second grade it got worse because his teacher was a "DECORATOR" and liked to hang things from the ceiling and have clings on the windows and switch the kids seats constantly. She also allowed the kids to talk a lot, which would put Brandon under his seat, although, he can b al loud as he can be !!!

So one day, I got a referral slip saying that he doesn't sit in his seat and was being disobedient, I went down to the teacher to talk to her after reading post here and going in with the Sensory mind set, I had the sensory mind set and I Was looking for "CLUES" (BTW, lights bother him sooooo much that he won't even get his pictures taken professionally, he will at school, I think because of peer pressure, but that is IT !!! I went into the classroom, she had Brandon sitting in the middle of a bunch of loud boys......underneath huge orange pumpkins, facing the windows, which face west, so the sun was on him shining in all day, and she had orange window clings, I showed her the copy of the thread I got from here and she said, WOW that is Brandon to a "T" !!! Wow someone got it, even though I ever thought that they would. She worked with Brandon for the rest of the year......she cut down on things hanging above his head, she took the clings off the windows near where he was sitting and she put him off in a corner, with no one beside him or to his right !!! The transformation was AMAZING !!! She would try and put him in the middle of the class once in a while,around him the quiet girls, but then would realized, NOTHING CHANGED and would move him back to his "CORNER"

In third grade the same thing happened, except that we had a first year teacher sooooo, she fought me a lot.....then I got mad and sent the email with this link, and copied the principal and the principal told her to listen to what I said, I new what I was talking about !!! And sure enough no more problems !!!

Send him to school, that s my opinion and let them figure it out !!!! Let them see him on s "NORMAL" day and then you won't have these issues.....trust me, the school won't put up with the behavior of a "SENSORY" Child long, they sure didn't with Brandon !!! And then fight for your child. The problem is that they have so many special ed cases at this time of the year, they have a hard time, putting it all together!!!
GAYLE mom to Brandon 8 3/4 LOL

Let me also tell you that if your child is smart then you have a bigger problem, because they look at ACADEMIC NEED, but there is a boy in Brandon's class this year that is an honor roll student but he goes to special ed classes, because of SENSORY ISSUES!!!
brandonsmom

Post by brandonsmom »

Also check his eyes, alot of kids who cannot see act out, like a child with ADHD !! GAYLE

Message was edited by: brandonsmom
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

Post by Carolyn J »

Evee,
Fyi,ADD,ADHD and Behavior Disorders of variations are often Diagnosed when it is really Sensory Intergration Dysfunction/Disorder;only therapists with knowledge of OBPI's[usually an OT] can accurately do assessments for SID. It will be helpful for you to read all of the posts on SID and other "Sensory" Posts...at least I hope it will be helpful.If you are in doubt still, you always have the right to have assessments by a therapist outside of your School District and bring their reports to your Meetings with the School District.
HUGS,
Carolyn J
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
evee

Post by evee »

Hi Carolyn,

I have tried to read the topics on Sensory Issues. There are so many to read and Christian has such a bad problem with behavior, I cannot read all of them. He did see his neurologist today for his brain injury and sensory issues. I asked the doctor if the sensory issues are due to his bpi and he said no. He said it is due to the brain injury. Christian was switched from Risperdal to Lamictal which should help with his behavior problems. He is also so hyper. I guess I will try every night to read a couple of the sensory issues.

thanks again
Hope to see you at camp.
Ivette
Christian
evee

Post by evee »

Hi Brandons Mom,

Christian saw his Neurologist today. I spoke with him about when Christian turned 3 last April the NS School district scheduled an ARD meeting and tested my son. I spoke with the district about his brain injury and sensory issues. I also told them that both diagnosis cause severe behavior problems. They gave my son several test and even brought in some children to interact with him. He behaved so well. He wants to go to school so bad. They never saw his behavior problems or the sensory issues. They told me he scored high. He scored in the upper 3's - 4 year olds. They also told me if he did have sensory issues that he cant turn them off and on. I was so upset cause they made me feel like I lied about his diagnosis. He is also incontinant and wheres diapers and pullups. They told me he would be placed in regular classes but has to be potty trained. He has a disability that is why he is not potty trained. His neurologist said that his IQ should not have been used against him. That they should looked at his disability. And also that his behavior is going to get him in trouble in regular classes and also upset teachers. He was upset. And also told me that he never got a form to fill out about Christians disability. He told me to try again.

Thanks
Evee
evee

Post by evee »

Hi Louise,

My son has only seasonal allergies so far. He has never been tested for allergies or food allergies. I did receive a email from a Sensory website that I registered with. They did discuss that there children where tested for food allergies and that it made a big change in behavior. I will ask his new pediatrician. I have change pediatrician twice this year. I cannot not find a good doctor. Hopefully this new one is the one.

Thanks
Evee
Carolyn J

Post by Carolyn J »

Evee,
Even if your Neurolgist doesn't recieve a Form from the School District(Probably won't!),I suggest you have him put in a Letter for you "To Whom it May Concern"everything he told you the other day..And you carry a copy with you to all meetings and Assessments for Christian. Of Course, keep the original in his Home Medical File.

I also strongly suggest taking someone with you to all meetings with the School District and make notes after all telephone calls with them. If you ever have to go to an Appeal process, these all will come in very handy. Also, Incontinence often is connected to Neurolgical Injuries and can be Developementally late in mastering; this was a factor in my son's Neurogical BIrth problems(non-BPI) and he was not potty trained until almost age 4, but finally got there.

Best Wishes for your Journey thru your School District.
Under "Programs for Children with Disabilites" in your phone book, is there a Parent Advovacy/Training Organization listed in your Area? School Dist.'s don't usually give you that information, any Children's Services Org. will too, besides the phone Book. Information and Training workshops really help.

HUGS to you and Christian, :)
Carolyn J
LOBPI/68+....;)

Message was edited by: Carolyn J

Message was edited by: Carolyn J
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI