Question regarding substance abuse

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
Gettinghelp

Question regarding substance abuse

Post by Gettinghelp »

I am posting because I am curious if anyone else has experienced substance abuse problems after your child's injury. I've always done what needed to be done for my child...surgeries,therapy,splints, etc. I gave up my lucrative paying job after my child's injury, and made many sacrifices, as did my entire family. I found myself wanting to escape whenever I had free time, which was very rare, a couple hours here and there. I found myself either wanting to have a few drinks or taking anxiety medication to ease the hurt. This has taken a major toll on my marriage. I'm never "to the point" where I can't function. Dinner is always made, house is clean, clothes are washed, and the children are safe.
Please do not judge me. I'm getting ready to re-enter the work force and realize, drinking and medication is NOT an option.
I'm just curious if anyone else has gone through this?
diver

Re: Question regarding substance abuse

Post by diver »

Hi ,
There is no judging here,
Substance abuse comes when it take more to deaden the pain :shock:
When this happens you need to switch what your taking so it take less.
Sometime it does take counseling and a better med.
The quest to find a med is a life long. Emotional pain is as real as it gets with add stress with dealing with these injuries or having them.
I hope this helps?? :roll:

Tom