OBPI HAND/FINGER BITING

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
francine

Re: OBPI HAND/FINGER BITING

Post by francine »

Albita - Maia has not done this so I don't have personal experience with this but it's been posted many times on the message boards.

Maragaret Storment in her sheet that we have on line talks about using a neoprene glove. In severe cases,I've heard of families that have splinted the arm so that it can't even get close(during the night).
I remember that someone put on Bitter Apple- a bad tasting deterant.

I hope more people come forward to help you with this.
It's a common problem.

big hugs,
francine

ps- so glad your picnic went so well- any pictures to share?
susan

Post by susan »

My 10 year old did this as a young toddler, he tells me now that it didn't hurt, but that it "felt good"- he needed some type of stimulation. He would even let his little brother use his finger as a teething ring. Try to stop your child immediately and then maybe do some message type stimulation or it becomes a habit. Just keep the finger clean if any chewing does happen. I know that this isn't much help, but we know what you are going through.
staycee

Post by staycee »

My son does the same with the biting his bp hand actually fingernails and because the sensiory isn't that good he'll be chewing skin then when it starts to bleed he flips but doesn't realize it till he's at that point but I won't put anything bad tasting on cuz the movement is what we need to keep seeing so needless to say I buy alot of bandaides and he loves bandaides so we have no problem wearing them.
Hope this helps your little one.
staycee

Post by staycee »

I'm sorry I should of previewed my post first That didn't sound so good! I put the bandaids on befor he even thinks about biting its kinda like the i got bobo fingers and I'm gonna run them up your arms and down the other arm hahaha game
mom_2x_2002

Post by mom_2x_2002 »

My daughter Hannah has bite her hand off and on since she was little. She hadn't done it in awhile. But we caught her this weekend biting her hand. It left marks on her hand. I was told that see may have a tingling sensation in the arm or hand like when your foot falls asleep. And then biting it makes it feel better. I don't know for sure why she does it. She don't tell me because she is only 2. We discourage the biting. Because one time she bite hard enough to cause an infection in her hand.

Nicki
Sophie's Mom

Post by Sophie's Mom »

Albita - We have had a LOT of problems with this off and on - SOphie is now 17 mo and just started up again - I think it coinsides with teething and she doesn't feel it as much on that hand so it is a convenient teething ring...
We put an antibiotic ointment on it that is safe for her to put in her mouth since she is young. When she is getting in the habit of it, we put a neoprine hand splint on to stop the habit, but you cannot put it over open wounds, so try to get it on before it gets bad, or after it heals a little. Go to www.benik.com for splints - the one we have has wrist and thumb protection. Good luck!
Albita

Post by Albita »

hi guys!
thanks for your suggestions.

francine, we took pictures but i dont have a scanner.
laura took pictures as well,maybe she hasnt got them developed yet.i will find out!
Sophie's Mom

Post by Sophie's Mom »

Another thing I just remembered. Before we got the splint from Benik (it took a while), we bought all kinds of gauze and "athletic" tape, and we would put the antibiotic cream on it then wrap it in such a way that she could still use it, but be unable to pull it off and that if she bit it, it wouldn't break the skin. good luck.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

My son,4, robpi, has done this on and off also, I have done the sock over the hand...he was too smart, would take it off and bite away, I used pickling alum, not exactly good for them long term, but after the first time, they don't do it anymore, it tastes nasty, you find it in the spice aisle and I can tell you it tastes bad, I was a thumb sucker and this is how my parents got me to stop !!! Good luck, my son bit his fingers teeribly.....but one the picklling alum waas used, no more !!! All I have to do is reach for it and it stops him instantly, post primary is the worst time I have found
Bonnie

Post by Bonnie »

Albita!!! I am so sorry to hear about Emilio!! I don't check here very often and haven't got around to writing emails lately! Been really busy back at work!!!

I hope things start looking up for you and Emilio! It was so great to see you again. I really appreciate that you came to the hospital.

Has Emilio had any more movement yet? Avery sat up by herself last night! I am so excited! She is figuring out this awkward moving business! Slowly but surely...as I hope for Emilio too!