Not taking "nothing can be done" as an answer.

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
wafloodzone

Not taking "nothing can be done" as an answer.

Post by wafloodzone »

Never posted on a board: not sure how to start so I guess I'll jump right into the accident. On July 27 of this year I lost control of my motorcycle that ended with me pinned under a guard rail. Wasn't going but maybe 30mph, I can still remember the moment I hit that guardrail. Feeling in the left arm was gone. I actually thought It was laying in a ditch somewhere. I got to ride in an ambulance (can take that of my bucket list). All joking aside I had multiple broken ribs, a bruised esophagus, small tears in my spleen but the biggest injury was paralysis in my left arm from the bicep down (I know, it could have been worse). I was told that I had pulled the nerves right out of the spinal cord. They also said that surgery was NOT an option. Fast forward to 2 1/2 painful months later I had a second opinion. That opinion was as bad as the first. I know I'm not the first person out there with this type of injury. There have got to be doctors to help fix this. I know it's only been 2 1/2 months but I figure I better start looking for alternate solutions. This paralysis can't be permanent. I'm only 48 and still have a lot of ball catching with the grandkids. Well if you didn't fall asleep reading this I would truly like anyone's thoughts and suggestions. My goal is to be riding my motorcycle again next summer. I know it's a long shot and the odds are against me but I gotta give it a try. There has to be a YES in the sea of no's. Lisa
cristinam

Re: Not taking "nothing can be done" as an answer.

Post by cristinam »

I would highly recommend you visit with the doctors at Mayo Clinic. And perhaps most importantly keep your head up through it all! Good luck with everything.
ArmStrong
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: HI BPI FAMILY ON SEPT.19 2010 I CRASHED ON MY MOTORCYCLE AND SUFFERD A FRACTURED BACK AND NECK AND A CLOSED,TRAUMATIC BPI LEFT ARM PARALYZED,SOME FINGER AND WRIST MOVEMENT.

Post by ArmStrong »

Hello,I was in a motorcycle accident on 9-19-10 had surgery in march and still do not have any new movement in my arm.My suggestion is to get seen by a doctor who speacializes in tbpi,the Mayo clinic is highly recommended and you should do this asap.The longer you wait the less chance you have of recovery and even with exstensive surgery complete recovery is highly unlikely it's important that you have realistic expectations from the beginning.For me facing the fact that this is a permanent injury has been one of the hardest things about this and continues to be an everyday struggle.Best wishes and good luck.
jmar
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: brachial plexus stretch during thoracic outlet syndrome surgery on may 18, 2010.

Post by jmar »

this is a peom i wrote for us who have a BPI injury (or any illness or injury as far as that goes) i hope it helps you to come to grips with this horrible injury. i also sent you a private message. but i think anyone reading this could benefit from it.

accept yourself

accept yourself as you are
appreciate yourself as you
you are not perfect
your body may be injured
but dont let that be who you are
your attitude may not be perfect
but you can change it
it is your decision to
continue being your best self
or being less than your best
it is your job now to learn
how to live a different life
than you had before
it is hard but you can do it
with a lot of hard work and determination
it will get frustrating, annoying, and
feeling like life aint worth it that is normal
and fine to feel that way
but it is not fine to keep feeling that way
so put you head up, smile, and say
I WILL BE MY BEST SELF NO MATTER
WHAT HAPPENS TO ME

written by Joyce Clemons
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

JOYCE, this is a Beautiful Poem. Please send it to Jennifer P. to print in UBPN's OUTREACH Magazine.
Carolyn J
LOBPI/73+
jmar
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: brachial plexus stretch during thoracic outlet syndrome surgery on may 18, 2010.

Post by jmar »

carolyn, it is in the outreach magazine. that is what i wrote it for...
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

Post by Carolyn J »

Oops Joyce! I didn't remember that... :x
"Senior Lapse"...lol
Carolyn J
LOBPI/73+
jmar

Post by jmar »

thats o.k. i forgive senior lapses. i am might write something else for the next magazine. if there is a next one....
richinma2005
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Daughter Kailyn ROBPI, June 14, 1997.
Surgery with Dr Waters (BCH), April 1999 and in February 2012
2 more daughters, Julia (1999), Sarah(2002) born Cesarean.

Post by richinma2005 »

there is going to be another one--back to the original format,,,,
Carolyn J

Post by Carolyn J »

YIPPEEEE!,Rich. Thanks for the update;the original format I liked it best. 8-)
Carolyn J
LOBPI/73+