Sudden onset arm pain 9 years old no surgery

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
JessicasMom
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 10 year old Jessica born on 9/6/03 with a LOBPI.
Mostly recovered, no surgery, still has remaining functional deficits
including no active external rotation.

Sudden onset arm pain 9 years old no surgery

Post by JessicasMom »

My 9 year old daughter Jessica has a LOBPI and recovered without surgery, though her injury was not mild. Although it is not possible for anyone who isn't trained what to look for to know that she has an injury, she doesn't have any external rotation, and full supination comes only with compensation. She also likes to keep her elbow up unless she is reminded, but its uncomfortable, and the straps on her dresses and bathing suits fall off of her shoulder.

Anyway, she has never complained of pain, except if you would poke her in the middle of the deltoid, other than that, never an issue, but for the last 3 weeks she is complaining daily about her arm hurting and it seems that the pain even radiates up to her neck. I put her back in Occupational therapy 2 months ago, but I am wondering what could be causing this, and there is any benefit to taking her to a neurologist or surgeon for evaluation? Any thoughts or info would be greatly appreciated!

BTW, she was seen regularly by a neurologist until she was discharged at 2 years old, and she had several surgical consults from Kozin and Waters and others until about 2.5 years old (all advising no surgery was necessary), but no follow up or surgical consults since that age.
cdmurfee

Re: Sudden onset arm pain 9 years old no surgery

Post by cdmurfee »

Hi, I can't offer you any advice, but I can relate to what your daughter is going through. I remember having pains in my left arm around that same age. I never knew what it was, but it wasn't permanent. I hope that helps even a little bit? I wish I could give further insight.

-Chris 28/LOBPI
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Yes, pain appears sporadically as we grow/ageand at no predictable time or level of activity.

There are Lots of sharing posts on "Pain" on the OBPI Adults Message Forum Board...everyone is welcome on any Forum.

Carolyn J
LOBPI/74+++ :roll:
F-Litz
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, LTBPI at age 6.5, Sensory Issues, CP, Diaphragm Weakness, Aspberger's

Post by F-Litz »

I can tell you what happened with my daughter and maybe it will be helpful l for you.

Maia went through a period of SEVERE DEVASTATING pain that radiated down her arm. It was so severe that I was completely besides ourselves and we didn't know what to do. Then this one weekend, she just spent the whole weekend screaming her lungs out non stop. To make a long story short - someone from our religious community came forward and helped Maia out and within four treatments her pain was gone. What was happening was that she had severe cranial issues still from her birth. He worked on her cranium and her neck, her clavicles and that's it. Pain gone in four sessions. BTW - she was 12 at the time. (She's 15 now - the pain hasn't returned).

She went to a chiropractor -- but it wasn't the usual chiropractic technique that was used on her... because she had been going to a chiropractor or four all along since birth and none of the other techniques took care of business. The name of the technique is Koren Specific Technique - and you can find a practitioner by googling Koren Specific Technique Directory.

We go directly to Dr. Tedd Koren and like I said - four sessions and it was gone.

I'm not saying that this will help your child. I'm not saying that your child has the same issues. Just saying that sometimes you might be able to find help in some place you never expect. I had no idea that Maia's cranium was completely out of whack. By the way - the first treatment put her in bed for four days. Second treatment two days. When she got to the fourth treatment, she let us know that she was completely out of pain. And she's only seen him about 3 times since in the last 3 years total.
Master DIVER TOM

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

I am thinking :roll:
Every time we try to adapt to new things in life it tens to use other muscles in strange ways to compensate a action. It becomes a new area that hurts by trying new things :evil: Life time of this experience driving a semi with birth erbs and trying new things to adapt to :shock: ;)
I know my pain never ever goes away in my erbs arm at 62. But then again it could be my, Evil Ku-n-evil life stye we chose by other post to ;) Pain it seen comes with the positive in trying ware the possibility of being able to smile by what we can over come in -spite of increase pain to do so :shock:
I never had surgery or ever offer help for my birth erbs :evil: Pain relief is a life long quest for now :roll: There always the next treatment or surgeries in the future ;)

Tom
Cara
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: My oldest daughter suffered a LOBPI. We were sent home form the hospital without being told anything was wrong. She had nerve graft surgery at one year of age, tendon transfer and release at 3 1/2 yrs of age.

Post by Cara »

About this age my daughter developed pain that she called "static" she said it felt like an electrical impulse shooting down her arm. We started her on a low dose of nerontin and it has worked great and after about two weeks she seldom got the pain anymore. We stayed on it for about two years solid and now use it on a prn basis, but it does take a week or so on it to get the full benefits for her. The pain tends to flair up during growth spurts or if she is doing new exercises (dancing in her choir class this year was awful, every time they learned a new dance the pains would flair up)
Master DIVER TOM

Ok this is what I am thinking :shock: :roll:
Pain is part of growth and pain is part of trys, Pot holes in Chicago were brutal on my erbs arm, The quest for a pill or treatment for pain is a life long quest, Try not to over stretch in moves to adapt ether arm and for pain in back turn you body a little more. I loaded trucks at UPS nights to. It more about moving the angle of the lift?? If you can grasp then try putting any thing in your affect hand and squeeze a rubber ball to in crease stretch , I guess this happen because one arm is large and heaver over time, Any pound weight for grasp is great for balance to :shock: I guess , these things over time help me :roll: :D

Hope this helps,????
Tom
JessicasMom
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 10 year old Jessica born on 9/6/03 with a LOBPI.
Mostly recovered, no surgery, still has remaining functional deficits
including no active external rotation.

Post by JessicasMom »

Thank you everyone! I know this post is a few months old and that's because the pain had gone, but now it seems to be back and I was assuming it was only after great physical activity like gymnastics or anything where she was using muscle strength because I can actually feel the knots in the muscles if she doesn't stretch, but I see it happening also when she is stretching and she complains that the pain just radiates. Francine, thank you for the suggestions, those are definitely something I am going to look into! I'm wondering how physical chiropractic or the other sessions you described are? Jessica is hypersensitive, seriously if you so much as nudge her deltoid she cries like you have stabbed her! I'm not sure she can handle anything with a great degree of touch!
Master DIVER TOM

Best thing I found for knots, :shock:
Is getting a deep message , starting in the hand up, After a long day driving semi it great to use ice and when you can get a deep mesage it really help me for pain cramping , knotting and blood flow. :shock: ;) :D
Just Thinking , :roll:
Tom