ROM at home

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
SONY13
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Daughter DOB 28-06-2013 injured right arm at birth. She dint move the arm at all for about 5 weeks, slowly gained some movement, she can lift her arm up and sweep sideways while lying down, has a wrist drop but a firm grip. Currently discussing primary surgery

ROM at home

Post by SONY13 »

Hello there,

It is surprising that I found so much information here than anywhere else, of course very less from our pediatrician. I am so glad I found this site and extremely sad at the same time. My beautiful daughter was injured at birth and is 3 and a half months now. We have been in PT since she was 3 weeks old and do ROM at home several times a day. She can lift her arm up and sweep sideways while lying down and has a firm grip, but a wrist drop. No active elbow bending yet. MRI is not very clear but says no avulsions, cords are intact but some tissue in between. Currently getting ready for primary surgery. We are in Bangalore, India. We lived and worked in London and will return back there after surgery.

It is going to be a long journey and keeping my emotions apart, I am trying to educate myself. I see the parents here are doing the same and wish them recovery from the bottom of my heart.

I would be thankful if any of you could answer these questions

How many times do you do ROM for your kids? what is recommended and what has been useful

Did they ever mention to you that there are effects on the intrinsic and extrinsic shoulder muscles - Rhomboidus, trapezius, pectoralis etc and how to incorporate in the exercises?
Master DIVER TOM

Re: ROM at home

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

Hi Sony,
Maybe this will help?? :shock: :roll:
In the 50s , finding therapy for birth erbs, was a challenge for my mom.
I have had therapy when I was little and any all therapy is great, for your baby to ;) Is there really a number??
I know the best I could do was to strengthen what muscles I could find to use and gain movement base on torn and stretch nerves from my erbs . Today , they do nerve implants and some Great things that help in gaining movement over time :D
The best thing for helping grip my mom did was have me squeeze a small ball to gain grasp , In my life it is great to have to hold things by grasp. Reaching, raising the arm very little, The use of anything gain by therapy is a tool to be use in latter trys to adapt there way and by things that are done with limitation, strengthen what you can by trying, No matter when these injury happen.
When I was a baby it was hard to crawl ,and way better when I learned to walk. Trying and adapting happen ;)
The best thing about exercise is playing as a kid , fun therapy using what you can is great to, you learn to adapt your way by play. Increase a limitation in a baby is best done by play to , best way to find range of motion is by a small stuff toy they like, holding a stuff animal stretches and help to,
Doing therapy by play my mom did when I was a baby, but focus on my erbs arm in play, Trying latter in life ,comes from trying to adapt your way as a kid, it is always therapy, Therapy is a life long experience by trying. strength come from the doing, ;)
Just a thought, :roll:
Tom
SONY13
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Daughter DOB 28-06-2013 injured right arm at birth. She dint move the arm at all for about 5 weeks, slowly gained some movement, she can lift her arm up and sweep sideways while lying down, has a wrist drop but a firm grip. Currently discussing primary surgery

Post by SONY13 »

Hey Tom

thank you so much

Amazing you have come this far.
I am trying to recover and hoping the best for my baby

We are preparing for nerve surgery and I am scared. But its something I have to do. Again, I read so many parents doing the same.

Hope for the best.

Sony
Master DIVER TOM

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

Hi Sony,
It is interesting to read post that outline so many choices with these injuries, :shock:
In the 50s my mom took me all over trying to have something done for my birth erbs, When I was 10 , the final statement from a Children hospital and doctor was , there is nothing for your son, he will just have to live with it. :shock: :evil:
Today there is really just so many ways to TRY to get movement and usage, finding the right doctor is a quest and finding a True operation that will help the most?? :roll: I learn a lot about tenacity to try, from the years my mom tried to find help , for my erbs. All this time latter and parent show there kids, what tenacity to try is to ;)

Live my life with out hope , Interesting thing is how far you can go in a try to adapt in life, Even when there is no treatment, or help. There are so many hear posting to, that have overcome what there left with to. ;)
I think anything you can find to help your child is great ;) the outcome will be fine ;) People ,kids seem to adjust no matter what, some how no matter what happens in trying to adapt by other post here to, You never fail by trying no matter the outcome your child will fine her way with your help ;) :D I did learn tenacity to try, that I got from my moms efforts to try to ;) :D
The hope is in the try
Regretting, is not trying.
Its always better to try then give up??? :shock: you absolutely will be fine because you did try, base on so many others posting here to :D

Just thinking, :roll:
Tom