Problems with CPR training?

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
Cara
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: My oldest daughter suffered a LOBPI. We were sent home form the hospital without being told anything was wrong. She had nerve graft surgery at one year of age, tendon transfer and release at 3 1/2 yrs of age.

Problems with CPR training?

Post by Cara »

My daughter has a OLBPI. She is 13 and was trying to renew her CPR certification. They have new dummies since she did her initial certification and was unable to do the chest compressions on the new dummies. HAs anyone else had problems with this? Any suggestions?
Master DIVER TOM

Re: Problems with CPR training?

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

I have been CPR certified ;)
Part of being a master diver is being a rescue diver and CPR training was part of that ;)
I would ask for a Accommodation to use a more broke in dummy, Sometimes are limitation do come with need accommodations.
There is a world of difference between the strength of a 13 old and me doing one hand compensations years ago. It takes a life time to learn new ways to adapt one handed and if trying does not work than accommodation is that enables us to ;) :shock: . By accommodating a child to perform CPR on a older model dummy because she could pass on a model like this before will enable her to pass this again, This is a needed accommodation period that enables again:shock: ;) If this place will not accommodate than find a place that does the training on older dummies ;) You can get the Cpr certificate from many places including the Red Cross first aid and Cpr class to. Got them at a dive shop.
Just thinking, :roll:
Tom :shock:
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

"they" should be able to accommodate her especially since she passed her orginal training...ADA for "accommations" come to mind. That Girl sure is Accomplished!! :D I am sooo proud of her.

(((((HUGS all around your house)))))
Carolyn J
LOBPI/75
Judy-T
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Right arm OBPI One surgery at age 40 Ulnar nerve retransposition

Post by Judy-T »

Cara, I had a lot of trouble passing CPR back in the 80's. It took me a lot longer than anyone else in my class. I took it at the police academy and was real frustrated because it decided if I was able to get hired at my job or not. I did it one handed and had to apply alot of pressure using my whole body doing the compressions. I did pass but ended up with a sore wrist in my good arm. Tell her I know it's tough but I know she CAN do it!
Cara
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: My oldest daughter suffered a LOBPI. We were sent home form the hospital without being told anything was wrong. She had nerve graft surgery at one year of age, tendon transfer and release at 3 1/2 yrs of age.

Post by Cara »

Thanks everyone. I am still waiting on call back and it will probably be after the holidays before we get it straightened out.