13 going on 14

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
marlin's mom
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 6/7/2000

13 going on 14

Post by marlin's mom »

I was talking with a mom of a newborn today who may have some serious medical challenges. I was telling her about how when Mar was born with a BPI how much resources like this board help us.

Marlin was born in June of 2000. She had 5 surgeries at TCH. Talking about her challenges earlier in life really brought it all back to me, what a struggle it can be and all the emotional issues that go along with it all. I assume that most of you are in the thick of it and dealing with PT, OT, doctors, surgeons, insurance, money and everything else that you have to deal with and it seems that I will never ever end or even let up, but it does.

My daughter is now 13 going on 14. She had her last surgery when she was 5 and discontinued OT at age 8. Her affected arm is her left which is also her "handedness" she was never able to write with her left hand because the motor skills were just not there, and for years I just quietly ignored all of the teachers notes about her hand writing. Frankly she might have worked harder at it to improve but I just didn't want to ride her about it. I almost felt she had earned the right to sloppy hand writing, so I let it go. She eventually did improve on her own and now you can't make any distinctions with her handwriting and anyone else.

She is in archery club...shooting as a left hander! I know there is a risk with her shoulder becoming dislocated which could require another surgery but I am at the point that its more important to overcome the obstacles than to nurture her arm. Her whole personhood is now the focus.

She serves on the friends of the disabled organization at her school, because she understands what it is like to go through some of what they experience still today. Blessings do come with the bitterness of an injured child. Its hard to see through it when you are in the midst of it all, but the grace is there to see you through. In many ways some of the challenges that I went through as a result of the BPI have strengthened me in ways I never saw or knew were possible.

Talking to a friend today that brought it all back really reminded me how long it has been since I've even thought of BPI, which is a very good thing...Something that was once such a big part of our lives is now in the past, and one day you will look back and remember all that you went through and remember, and you will be grateful that it is mostly in the past. Only revisited when there is an opportunity to use what you've learned to help someone navigate through the process or to encourage them along the way.

Peace.
richinma2005
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Daughter Kailyn ROBPI, June 14, 1997.
Surgery with Dr Waters (BCH), April 1999 and in February 2012
2 more daughters, Julia (1999), Sarah(2002) born Cesarean.

Re: 13 going on 14

Post by richinma2005 »

Great story! Thank you!

rich
alheim
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Motorcycle Accident; October 2013.

Tears & stretching in BP of left arm. Significant loss of movement at elbow & wrist, and no deltoids. Looking forward to improvement!

Re: 13 going on 14

Post by alheim »

A nice story indeed, thank you.