school

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
dtheel

school

Post by dtheel »

Having trouble getting teacher to understand that grandsons disability is causing fustration which is causing him to act up anyone have suggestions
Rod B
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Rt Arm Erb's Palsy, 1960, St Luke Hosp. S.f. Ca. Dr. Z. Hand length shorter than left arm, waiters tip wrist, elbow doesn't extend all the way, can't raise arm above shoulder level, can't raise hand above eye level; Surgery in 1978 At UCSF Dr. Hoaglan, and Preffenger to stabalize. I hate when other people do a double take, but notice I do the same LOL. Didnt bother me when I was young, but from age 12 and up I was always trying to hide my disability . I don't hide it any more. Grew up playing softball, fishing, able to ride motorcycle as well.

Re: school

Post by Rod B »

I was let back in the 2nd grade; teacher told my mom I had a learning disability, but doctor explained that I didn't have a learning disability; that my brain was telling me to wright with my right hand, but I was forced to use my left hand. I acted up a lot in grammar school although I wasn't as self conscious of my arm until jr high, I was in jr high for 5 yrs and forced into high school by my age. I was very immature not sure if I can attribute this to my arm, but who knows; I'm sure my arm screwed with me mentally.
Master DIVER TOM

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

Oh sorry :roll:
it was my birth erbs :shock: Back in the caveman days .
Acting out was me , in grammar school in the 60s :shock:
Acting out happen when I got in far to many fights because I was called, Stud arm to many times :evil:
Acting out is when you are just trying to teach your self to try new things that you can adapt to one handed and to become accepted as a child to do things other children can do with 2 arm :shock:
The positive is a shared interest with others, If a child , If there is interest than there is a try, It is a great out let for,
Acting out :shock:
Positive outcomes , A boat load of posts over time ;) :D
If you can just be accepted than acting out to try is a life long task to overcome what you can in life ;)
It changes a negative into a positive to, Just try :D :shock:
Hope this thought help :roll:
Tom
ASC
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: OBPI

Post by ASC »

Been there, done that!
I was required to repeat the 1st Grade because I was out healing and reab(ing) my ROBPI surgery. Moveover, I was pushed through the school system because I was a BIG BOY! These two life events were contributing factors in my development both mentally and academically. In junior high school, I was placed in a Title One program for reading and writing. In high school, I was in the same dilemma of being very frustrated in my studies, friendships, sports, and the name calling of HOOK. However, Graduated high school, joined the Army, Worked different jobs, went to college (Got A BA/BS), and today I live a pretty good life. Of course, between the operation, physical therapy, group play therapy, general IQ exam, and being able not have a pity party about my ROBPI. I have become a better person. For some strange reason, I found out that my abilities far outweigh my challenges. Learn, adapt, try and retry to find those hidden abilities. Life has so much to offer when one becomes aware of oneself. And, the potential we all have within our being. Try making lists of things you would like to do, things you have tried, and things that work for you. Brainstorm your ideas. Truly dig deep into anything and everything that my interest you. Don't forget the physical and mental aspect of these ideas. GO FOR IT!

Tony (ASC)
ROBPI/Adult

Last bumped by Anonymous on Sun May 04, 2014 6:39 pm.