Whats Next?

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
fionacard
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Son born 2005 sustain LBPI during delivery
2005 - Nerve transfer
2008 - Transfer of the latissimus dorsi
2008- current occupational therapyat home
2009-2010 Aquatic therapy twice a week and land therapy twice a week.

Whats Next?

Post by fionacard »

My son was injured at birth (LBPI) he's had the nerve graph, he's had the Latissimus dorsi transfer and continues OT. He is still unable to lift his arm above his head and does not have much of any finger flexion. The support here in Jacksonville FL for this type of injury is non existence and I am so frustrated because I know there is so much more out there that I still don’t know and so much more that I need to do for him so he can reach his fullest potential. WHAT IS NEXT?? Anybody ?? any suggestions??? are there any other treatments?? surgeries?? is this it??
ASC
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: OBPI

Re: Whats Next?

Post by ASC »

More exercise!

Tony/ASC
ROBPI/Adult
Master DIVER TOM

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

First, your doing great getting help for your son ;) :D
The quest to find a doctor is a quest by so many parents posting, good news others here do post doctors names and location.
Please state your location :roll:
I can try to explain the second part, Is This it ???? :shock: :roll:
Many here post with out help or surgery, back in the 50s there was no help for my birth erbs and neither were so many posting here ;)
If you cant find a doctor for now, than theory and exercise can and will help for increase rom and help blood flow. even if it just stretching the arm and fingers will help ;) :D
This will over all will help in adapting in life by stretching what you can.
I learn more and did more in adapt and exercise in play, I am marveled by how other here have done so many things here by post to, Exercise in play never ends ether , there is always the next thing to try ,in spite of the limitation were left with by so many posting here, no matter if its from a birth injure or a latter in life injury :shock: :D
Tenacity will help as your doing now ;) :D How we adapt in life without direction , It happens to all here over time by post to ;)
Is this it never :shock:
Just Thinking , hope it help ?? :shock: :roll:
Tom
hope16_05
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 28 years old with a right obstetrical brachial plexus injury. 5 surgeries to date with pretty decent results. Last surgery resolved years of pain in my right arm however, I am beginning my journey with overuse in my left arm

Post by hope16_05 »

fionacard wrote:My son was injured at birth (LBPI) he's had the nerve graph, he's had the Latissimus dorsi transfer and continues OT. He is still unable to lift his arm above his head and does not have much of any finger flexion. The support here in Jacksonville FL for this type of injury is non existence and I am so frustrated because I know there is so much more out there that I still don’t know and so much more that I need to do for him so he can reach his fullest potential. WHAT IS NEXT?? Anybody ?? any suggestions??? are there any other treatments?? surgeries?? is this it??
I would let him be a kid for a while with a few more intentional play activities and then when he is a bit older maybe try estim for finger flexion as that will be way more useful than reaching up although the ability to reach up makes appearance more typical.
Possibly not what you want to hear but looking at his therapy history he might be getting burnt out.
I would be tempted to give my patients a break after all that therapy.
Amy J, 27 year old ROBPI and peds OT
Amy 28 years old ROBPI from MN