Speech delay when to worry?

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
lizzyb

Re: Speech delay when to worry?

Post by lizzyb »

Hi Carron, My elder son (he is now in his 30's), as a child had speech problems linked to hearing difficulties and my two nephews and one of my grandchildren also have had similar problems, all caused by glue ear.

None of them I might add have a BPI but I think with my experience of this I can honestly say that taking him into a room and making sounds to see if he turns around is not good enough in my opinion. He may have difficulty in picking out and hearing low or high pitched sounds and this kind of testing won't show this up. Is he is speaking a kind of gobble-de-gook? If so, he will be repeating what he actually is hearing and getting frustrated because he can't make you understand; this would account for some if not all of the tantrums.

I would insist on a proper set of tests when he is less stressed. Just my thoughts...hope this helps a bit.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi, I work for the early intervention system in our state. I would have to see Thomas to be able to give good recommendations. But if he has been screened and also evaluated by a speech therapist then they must feel one time per mos. is sufficient for his age and abilities. There is such a wide range of normal with development and kids under two who only have a few words, typically will continually build their vocabulary with time. Certainly by age two and a half to three he should have a fairly good size vocabulary, but at not yet two it sounds like he is still with in the normal range with having the ability to say a few words. Is his comprehension age appropriate? Does he follow simple directions? Is his area of delay only in expressive language? How many words does he have? Also at this age even if he says ba ba consistantly every time he wants a bottle for example that is considered a word. He does not have to say it perfect it just has to be consistant for that object each time he says it to be considered a word. Certainly check his hearing to make sure there are no other reasons he has a limited vocabulary, but other than being followed by a speech therapist it sounds like you are doing everything you can and if his hearing is fine, it is likely his vocabulary will pick up with time and exposure. Read to him a lot and constantly point out objects and name things in his environment for him, that should help too. Also at this age, tantrums do sometimes occur out of frustration because if his comprehension skills are age appropriate or higher his mind is constantly working and he has so much to say that they often can not get their thoughts out as quickly as their mind is working. Does that make sense? This is from my experience working with kids with special needs only. Again I have never seen Thomas so I do not know him like you do or his therapists. Keep in close contact with his speech therapist to be sure he is making progress. Good Luck. Stacey
carron

Post by carron »

Thanks, I do plan to get his hearing tested again. He has problems following commands.. Thats one thing they really try to work on and the speech therapist is going to try to come twice a month and she also said I might look into other form of therapy private. They are on over load with kids so she is not sure she can come twice a month and she is concerned about his speech delay. When you tell him to do somthing its like he does not understand then at times he does. He has a very bad habbit of hitting his head on what ever he is close to the floor, wall, refrigerator ect. when he gets mad or he just throws what ever he has in his hand..... he get so mad and I calm him down by tickling or rubbing his back or hair. I have tried ignoring him, putting him in another room but I can tell none of that works he does not understand... How to handle his frustations.. He never sits still we don't even go out to eat because he can't sit still long enough for us to eat. The only time he is still is when he is sleeping and even then he moves around.
Lenni

Post by Lenni »

Hi Carron, it sounds like you have already received some very good recommendations, I do not have a lot to add except to say that you are his Momma and I say do what your gut tells you to!

Good Luck little Thomas!

Lenni
claudia

Post by claudia »

Carron, have you had him evaluated by an ENT? Perhaps he has fluid in his ears...Before we did my son's tubes, he was a tantrum thrower and I could not understand what he was babbling about. His behavior improved even before his speech!! Apparently, he was in a lot of pain all the time from the viscous fluid that was stuck in his ear, behind his ear drum.
Also, that constant movement, could be a sensory issue. Sensory issues abound in bpi. Does your OT have training in sensory integration? If not, try to find one. You could also read the book "The Out of Sync Child." Not all of it would apply to you, but you recognise some things and be able to help Thomas.
When Juliana was speech delayed, we used an "icon" system. Things that she often asked for were made into pictures (by her very sweet speech therapist)and glued onto cardboard. We had a dish of the cards. When she wanted something, she could go to the dish and get the icon. When she brought it to me, I would say, "Oh, you want milk. You brought me the picture of milk." Saying milk about 10 times in sentences before and as I was giving her the cup of milk. We had them for milk, cookies, cheese, cottage cheese, macaroni, blankies...stuff like that. Some people thought it would not encourage her to talk, but it got her going. She learned to touch my hand so I would turn it over so she could put the icon in my hand. It really worked for us.
Speech was described to us like a faucet, sometimes it drips out and once it is opened, it flows freely. Juliana was about 16 or 17 months old when we started, we ended close to a year later. (my therapist left and I didn't want to start with a new one)

hope it helps,
claudia
Francine_Litz

Post by Francine_Litz »

claudia - I loved what you did with the cards, etc. That's really neat. About the faucet - you are right about that. Maia just opened the faucet a week ago and she's having true conversations now...she also seems more present to our conversations. I'm loving it.
Connie&Andrew

Post by Connie&Andrew »

It sounds like you are on top of things. I think following our intuitions and feelings is probably the best thing.
I just wanted to add that 2 of my 5 children were saying very few words at the age of 2. Then by the time they were 3, they were talking fine. One of them is now 16 years old and a straight A student. The other is my BPI baby. He is now 3 and seems to be doing fine. I think one thing to look for is if he seems to be understanding the spoken language. There is a possibility that he is just a little slower expressing himself. They are all so different.

Good luck and enjoy your little one.

Connie
Francine_Litz

Post by Francine_Litz »

Lyn - wow what a great lead! Here's one link - there are MANY more!

http://www.braingym.org/

go to www.google.com and just type in Educational Kinesiology and you'll get swamped!

Thanks again Lyn,
francine