Introductions thanks to 20/20...lurkers welcome

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Re: Introductions thanks to 20/20...lurkers welcome

Post by Kath »

Welcome Jhana.

I have had computers for years but until 4 years ago did not find anything on OBPI/Erb's Palsy. There was very little information on the web before that time.

I was 60 when I found UBPN and others with this injury. We have so many pages of information here and at first its so hard to understand all the medical information except for those who have a medical background. I discovered parents soon aquire so much medical information they could get a degree in bpi studies.
Ask questions that is how we all learned so much about this injury. Someone will always be willing to help you. Glad you found us.
Kath
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

Moving this to the top for new people to the Website.
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
Kath

Post by Kath »

Moving this to the top for new people to the Website.
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
smith727

Post by smith727 »

Hi, I'm Scott. I haven't been to this board for a few years. I see it has grown quite nicely.
I am thirty four and male. I have erb's palsy on the right side due to a birth injury. (Shoulder distocia I think was the problem.)
I am a Lieutenant in a Maximum Security Correctional Facility in Ohio, and hold instructors certificates in both Judo and Aikido which we teach to our officers for self defense purposes.
For any of you judoka out there, I took traditional training in Judo, and non traditional training in Aikido, so if you want to talk using proper terminology, talk Judo. Otherwise, plain ENGLISH must do.
I also work part time as a police officer and am a resident computer geek.
Any questions from parents about their kids futures are welcome by me. I have managed to get through a LOT of the B/S that is associated with an injury like this, to include what I have already mentioned, as well as firearms instructor training, combat shotgun training, Special Weapons and Tactics training, (SWAT). Now better known as SRT.(Special Response Tactics). And lots of other training. Any question are welcome , feel free to ask.
Kath

Post by Kath »

Moving to the top of the board for new people to read.
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
espiper

Post by espiper »

My name is Suzy - I am 38 and have a left obpi - can reach up only 30* and lift up to my eye. Can't brush hair or get drive through food - it sucks. My elbow is not bent as my injury is at the C5 so no one notices there is something wrong with the arm. I like to say that in "talking range" I appear normal but of course never try to change a light bulb or hang a picture in front of anyone.
I just had Mod Quad surgery with Dr. Nath on December 7th - 10 days out from surgery now and it is already amazing. I can wash my hair for the first time like a normal person and put my hair in a pony tail yesterday just because I figured out I could!
I start therapy on Wednesday and can't wait. While lying on the floor I can reach straight up 180* and do a snow angel motion so have high hopes during this recovery. It is truly amazing. I had an Orthopedic Surgeon tell me a month ago "Don't go looking for the Holy Grail" I called him and told him I found it and it was in Houston of all places!
Kath

Post by Kath »

Suzy
I am so happy for you. You seem to be gaining something new everyday. It is amazing how far repair surgery has come. You just prove its never too late to make some imporvment and gain a greater range of motion.
Kath
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
Kath

Post by Kath »

up to the top for the new people... It helps to read about others and find out we are not the only ones with this injury.
Kath
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
Kath

Post by Kath »

Moving this up to the top for Michael's parents.
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
Kath

Post by Kath »

moving to the top for Cyndi Ann
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi