More problems with OBPI arm after minor accident

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Re: More problems with OBPI arm after minor accident

Post by marieke »

Did you just hit the wood slats with your back or your neck area too? I ask b/c that is where the brachial plexus is after, the cervical spine.
It sounds like a muscular thing, but if it continues you should probably get it checked out.
Good luck and I hope you feel better soon!
Marieke (31, LOBPI)
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com
kissygoose

Re: More problems with OBPI arm after minor accident

Post by kissygoose »

I hit basically from the base of my neck down to about mid back. the reason I've wonderd is because since that happened my arm is weaker and gets shakey easily. I'm having pain in the shoulder like I did before I went on meds.

I've been trying to do the exercises my dr. gave me but they hurt so mcuh to do them that I probably don't do them as much as I should and therefore don't get the benifit.
kissygoose

More problems with OBPI arm after minor accident

Post by kissygoose »

This is real far fetched but I figured I'd ask anyway. I had a very small accident the other day. I hit a couple of wood slats with my back. I'm not sure exactly where each slat hit but I'm pretty sure one of them was somewhere to the left of my spine and probably caught the edge of it. I hurt real bad right after it happened but each day it seem sto hurt a little less. The only problem is that I've noticed that my OBPI arm seems a bit more weak and I have a kind of shaky feeling in that side. I've also been having more spasms and pain too. I think a good deal of it is muscular but it has me a bit worried. I was just at the dr for pack pain and I really don't want to have to go back unless it's absolutely neccessary. I'm wondering though if I could have done more damage OBPI wise. I don't hink so because of where I hit but just thought I"d ask.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:19 pm.