Odd med ? if you take Metaformin

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
Joanie

Re: Odd med ? if you take Metaformin

Post by Joanie »

I also take Metformin, but I don't have pain from my BPI, so I don't know how Metformin would affect that.

Joanie
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Post by marieke »

One side effect is muscle pain, but other than that, I can't find anything else related to pain increase...
Marieke
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com
kissygoose

Post by kissygoose »

Well, my right hand which has carpel tunnel and ulnar nerve damage is getting real bad. I'm also having more nerve pain in my OBPI arm. It just seems so odd that this seems to coinside with the changes in my metaformin. I see a new neurologist on Thursday so I'm going to talk to him about out.
kissygoose

Odd med ? if you take Metaformin

Post by kissygoose »

I don't know if this is a coincidence or not but I thought it worth posting. I'm on Metaforming for insulin resistance. I was off of it for probably a week to two weeks and I noticed in that time that my pain had lessened. Now I'm back on the met and the pain is starting to come back. I'm wondering if maybe there is a connection here. Since the Metaformine works on the sensors in the pancreas, do you think it could also work on the sensors in the nerves so that we feel more pain, more accutely? I know this is probably far fetched but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:25 am.