Why can't we have IV's in our BPI arm

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Re: Why can't we have IV's in our BPI arm

Post by marieke »

The veins tend to be smaller and more fragile, so not easy to stick...
Marieke (31, LOBPI)
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

As far as I know our circulation is poor and one doctor told me the medication would not be properly absorbed.

Higher risk of infection in bpi arm and for some of us very painful.

I have never had blood pressure nor needles in my robpi.
As a child my doctor made it clear that I was never to let them use my right arm for any shots or blood tests.

Kath robpi/adult
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
brandonsmom

Post by brandonsmom »

Kissy
I was told that it was because of lack of circulation and a huge increase in risk of INFECTION !! I was also told that blood pressures are different an the BPI arm than in the good arm, but don't want to test that statement.

I posted on the General Board a few months ago, when Brandon went to the ER and they tried to take his blood pressure in his affected arm,I was pre occupied and didn't even notice , he stood up to them and said "NO, I have a Brachial Plexus Injury and you cannot take blood pressure in that arm." I was taken aback and so was the nurse, and then she told me, "WOW, he is absolutely right, I cannot do that in that arm, so we will switch arms, it is great that he knows how to stick up for himself" From my perspective, one less thing for me to worry about !!

Sorry, that went a little off topic, but you have to do what you have to do !!! GAYLE
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Bumpimg up for Angie. :^)

HUgs,
Carolyn
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
Mica

Post by Mica »

So, what do we do in a bilateral case?!!!!! My daughter's injury affects BOTH arms.
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

I don't know really. We use to have adult/obpi posting who are bilateral but they don't seem to be around anymore.

I guess they could go to the legs...
I have such a high pain threshold but just put off having blood tests...
I am way over due for one just because I have used one arm for so long it's a major problem.
I have very small deep veins to begin with.

I think if a child has to have it in the legs that the legs should be alternated to prevent the problems I have with my unaffected arm.

I get all injections in my hip/butt.
I will not run the risk of my arm being sore for days because I need it to function.

I am sure one of our resident medical folks could answer this better than I can.

Kath robpi/adult
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Post by marieke »

Mica, they can do IV's in the feet, but once the child is mobile they don't like to. BUT if she really can't have IV's in her hands/arms then they don't have a choice. I can have IV's in my LOBPI arm, but only have 2 veins that are ok there and it hurts more getting them in but once in it's not a problem.
Injections can always be done in the thigh or buttocks (buttocks only AFTER the child is walking though, as they need the muscle to be big enough to protect the sciatic nerve that runs under them). If she has enough muscle in her arms then she could potentially have injections there too, but for me it hurts in my LOBPI arm to have IM injections there...

Same with blood pressure, yes she can have it done on her arms, but it depends on her pain level (if any) and should be done on both sides to see if there is a big difference (everyone has one side that is lower, not just BPI's). It can also be done on the leg.

Every case is different, not everyone with BPI has the same level of injury... (as you know) so it's not a steadfast rule accross the board that it can't be done in the BPI arm (I know many will disagree with me so please DO NOT POST, I am fully aware..)

Marieke (31, LOBPI)
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com
erik_olson

Post by erik_olson »

I have given blood regularly for the past 8 years (type O+, they like to see me) It just doesn't succeed in my injured arm. I have had two bad experiences lately where I had pain in my uninjured arm for a few days afterward, and so I declined this time. I'm sure there are other factors (skill of technician, my work/school activities) but it's too risky. Too bad for the blood bank. I was a really good bleeder.

Didn't know about blood pressure checks, and I alternate. I will have both arms done next time to see the difference.
Joy in FL

Post by Joy in FL »

Foremost for me it is pain. Taking my BP from that arm is unbearable. There has been two times that they were unable to even get a reading. Rarely can they get a pulse on the left side. So it causes more problems than it is worth.

I have allowed them to take blood from the left arm but it always causes problems when I do. So I always make sure all other avenues are exhausted before I allow blood to be drawn from that arm. There has only been one time that they had to go in the left hand for an IV.
Joy in FL is now living in Georgia!
Left TBI on October 31, 1991
Lucid707

Post by Lucid707 »

I have an LOBPI and I practiced Phlebotomy and IV therapy.The biggest problem with drawing or sticking a BPI arm is the risk of serious Nerve injury to those nerves that have not been affected, Also the healing process on the affected arm is sometimes doubled or tripled due to the fact of decreased blood flow to that extremity, due to the atrophy in the muscles and tissues in the arm from the injury. Another reason why people feel they don't have " many" veins in their arm is mainly due to the muscles the veins rest in. The weaker the muscle the less anchoring the vein has causing it to move or "roll".An experienced IV tech knows how to get around that with little to no trauma to the patient, even with the affected arm. The pain mostly felt in drawing blood is the initial stick if they didn't get it immediately they should pull out and try again and not " fish" for the vein.