New "OLD" Guy

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Re: New "OLD" Guy

Post by Carolyn J »

Welcome "new Old Guy"!!
Please share your "gadgets",ok? And also come back here more often.

FYI, I buy my "gadgets on the one-handed website on Amazon thru UBPN's Link on our home page.

Carolyn J
LOBPI/70--sometimes adult ;)
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
hagens1

Post by hagens1 »

Hello Again, Some of the gadgets i made was a stabilizing pole that i put against my waist to shoot a compound bow. As a Mechanic i have found vice grip pliers can be used for my finger grip for my left arm. I play bluegrass guitar by stringing it left handed and using a thumb pick on my left hand

hagens1
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Hi "Haggen"..
THanks for sharing. I WIL USE your idea of a vice grip plyers..I have ben trying other objects large & small for my left hand for, like,un-knotting a necklace chain that has tangled. I get so frustrated when I can't hold the chain at one end to do it..Grrr! :( your idea wsil do great I think! Thanks.

Carolyn J
LOBPI/70
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
smith727

Post by smith727 »

Hagens,

(Any realation to Kenneth Hagens?) I have always wanted to figure a way to play a guitar, any way you can post your techniques with pics... on the web?
Chris88
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI C5 to C7
No operations to this point.

Post by Chris88 »

Hey Hagens,

Welcome to the board.

I see that you shoot a bow by using a stabilizing device. How does your stabilizing pole work?

I currently shoot a crossbow, but would like to figure out a way to shoot a compound bow well enough to hunt with it.

Chris LOBPI
"Success is peace of mind, which is a direct result of self satisfaction in knowing you made the effort to do the best of which you are capable."
Coach John Wooden
hagens1

New "OLD" Guy

Post by hagens1 »

Hello I am a new guy to this site I have bpi from birth. I have had five surgeries to my good arm and was told by my doc slow down she can only do some of these procedures twice. she is needing to go back in my right shoulder for the third time in five yrs.

But i am a preacher in a country church with three entergitic boys, I love the outdoors, I love physical labor and sports I have no desire to slow down,I want to teach my boys how to be a "Country Boy" etc.
I have made some gadets so i can hunt or work. Has anyone else made any "Gadets" to get by?
diver

Re: New

Post by diver »

Hi Hagens :shock: :D
From the older caveman here :shock:
There is alot of Tenacity in what we try ;) That is a positive in life with these injuries :shock: By so many post there is another gift from these injuries that are well worth the pain we endure in doing so with these injuries .
There is always room for a new gadget to try or Dream up ;) :D
We will never give up with our trys :shock: ;) , Tenacity and the courage to be creative , comes overtime no matter when these injuries happen ;)
Just Thinking :D
Mr Positive ;)
Tom
ASC
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: OBPI

Re: New

Post by ASC »

Hello New Old Guy:

It's nice to have people that have a talent for engineering items, problem solving, and just plain helping out another person. KUDOS!

Tony/ASC
"Just One More Step"
ROBPI/Adult

Last bumped by Anonymous on Tue May 27, 2014 7:34 pm.