obpi couples/in love

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
kristoffer

Re: obpi couples/in love

Post by kristoffer »

wow im so happy for you concentrate! (:. im really hoping i'll be able to find someone right for me in the future.

my course is nursing. hope to find job in hospitals soon.(:
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Good for you Kris, Good luck on your exams. Please keep us updated.
Carolyn J
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
kristoffer

Post by kristoffer »

ok. tnx everyone. (:
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Post by marieke »

Kristoffer,
I graduated from nursing school last May (2008).

Good for you for doing the program! It is not easy I know.

Marieke 33, LOBPI
RN
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com
kristoffer

Post by kristoffer »

wow. so are working now? where? i really wanted to work there in america. after i pass the local board exam here, ill try to take the exam for nurses in the usa. hope i will also pass. though the fee is really expensive. i really hope to work there soon. (:
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Post by marieke »

I am in Canada, not the usa :)

I am currently trying to get a job at the Children's hospital where I live...

I did my final internship on a cardiac surgery & neurosurgery floor. It was tough but a great experience. It was in my final semester, where we work 4 days a week, 8 hr shifts for 3 months.

I had other stages in geriatrics, psychiatry, obstetrics, pediatrics, medical/surgical floors... It is a great way to figure out what you would like to do.

Marieke, 33 LOBPI
RN
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com
kristoffer

Post by kristoffer »

sorry i thought you're in the u.s
i would love so specialize in ICU or ER. i really enjoyed my rotations there. (:
hope16_05
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 28 years old with a right obstetrical brachial plexus injury. 5 surgeries to date with pretty decent results. Last surgery resolved years of pain in my right arm however, I am beginning my journey with overuse in my left arm

Post by hope16_05 »

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner but I am studying to be an Occupational Therapist. I cant wait to be in the feild next year! You must be excited. Good luck on your exams I am already getting nervous for mine and they are over a year away.
Amy
Amy 28 years old ROBPI from MN
Charlie O
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: ROBPI resulting from a birth injury. Limited motion at the shoulder, elbow, and wrist. No pain or surgeries.

Post by Charlie O »

Fascinating topic. Sorry to join so late.

My ROBPI is fairly obvious, tho I'm often surprised how some people don't notice it, while others ask me almost immediately, "What's wrong with your arm?" The question doesn't rattle me anymore, not the way it once did.

As for relationships, I've had several long-term girlfriends and have been married twice. My ROBPI was NEVER an issue in any of those partnerships or in any of the break-ups. And honestly, I wouldn't enter a committed relationship with someone who was uncomfortable with my arm.

Funny side note... I'm a member of several communities, including "railfans" (railroad enthusiasts who chase and photograph trains). And you know what alot of the younger single guys worry about...whether they'll find a partner who enjoys trains. And the answer I give them is always the same: find a partner who enjoys YOU. The rest will work itself out. PS - my wife is NOT a railfan.

Just my 2¢. Hope it helps.
If daydreaming were criminalized, I’d be a lifer.
kristoffer

Post by kristoffer »

tnx charlie. sorry to inform you all that the relationship is already ended. we no longer comunicate. i i told him about my hand and he said it was just ok. i know there are other problems that added to the break up. and its really depressing.