Social Security

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
Loff

Social Security

Post by Loff »

According to the SS link I read, you can only be considered for SSI if both arms are disabled. Do they even consider the fact of overuse? Why would I work and risk arthritis or carpal tunnel in my able arm? That doesnt make sense. Does anyone have SSI with only one disabled arm?
Master DIVER TOM

Re: Social Security

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

You should try! There is the years that you work for creidts. There is the age. EVER diease is connected ++ to your erbs. Go fore it ! GOOD Luck!

Master Diver Tom
Judy-T
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Right arm OBPI One surgery at age 40 Ulnar nerve retransposition

Post by Judy-T »

Here is the Social Security Link
https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/POMS.NSF/lnx/0424580030

Look at the part in section 4 that says 101.08

Hope that this helps you.
Judy
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Yes, Go for it...before I was retirement age, I did get Social Security Disability than it rolled over to SS Retirement when I reached 65. You worked for it. You've earned it. It is worth the fightand all the time it will take. It pays retroactive to the date of your 1st Apploication date rec'vd by SS Office, no matter how long your "fight" may take. IT IS WORTH IT!!
Carolyn J
LOBPI/71
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
Master DIVER TOM

Yeah, If I remeber right? Some one here on past board help make erbs reconized for ss disabilty a few years back? Who was it?
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Nancy Birk, Past President of UBPN AND Kath(Kathleen Mallozzi Past BOD Sec.) met with/were invited, by SSA a couple of years back. Past issue of OUTREACH for that year has article...issues of OUTREACH are available online via home page link,fyi.

Carolyn J
LOBPI adult
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
patpxc
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: C-5 and C-6. Unable to supinate. Contracture elbow. Wrist bone underdeveloped.
Can raise forearm to mouth level. shoulder is limited in movement. Unable to put arm behind back. Secondary- early arthritis, carpal tunnel, pronator syndrome,scoliosis

Post by patpxc »

You can get Social Security only if there are both upperextremities--for instanc BPI in one arm, arthritis ,carpal tunnel, pronator syndrome etc in the other. I was approved in 3 weeks as my limitations included all of the above.
Having your Dr. document matching the listing in the SSA handbook is the way to go.
You also may combine the BPI with things like migraines, thought process problems, scoliosis etc.
Good luck
Master DIVER TOM

I will TRY to get you on a path? The most inporant is see your DOCTOR! Your ERBS can be connect to other deseases and mental condition also count. So seeing your doctor and getting reports for SS. You can apply on line for SS and getting it will inform you on whats to be done. There is a part in it about limited working, I think this was the exact way I got SSD, Rember GO into it by saying I will give it my best shot. You do need to do the home work.

PADI MASTER DIVER TOM
swhite1
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Bad fall in June of 2006
LTBPI

Post by swhite1 »

Nu-uh.
I have one arm affected and receive full benefits.
Oh, I'm also only 54.
Scott
Master DIVER TOM

Yes see a lawyer and see what your monthly benefit would be. Yes you can work on ssd. To get the basic I wood read the SSA_SSD web sight. This is a question, I have no clue if the simulious money benifit your field?? I will alllways be guilty of WISHFULL THINKING...

TOM