Uhm...I think I got my dissability

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
kissygoose

Uhm...I think I got my dissability

Post by kissygoose »

I'm not real sure but I got a letter today stating a favorable decision based on my OBPI and some other stuff combined. It says that with treatment I should get better and have to be reevaluated in 24 months but that I've been disabled since March of 2007. I'm a little confused though cause I was waiting for my hearing which they said would be 14 -18 months.

I guess I need to talk to my lawyer.
kissygoose

Re: Uhm...I think I got my dissability

Post by kissygoose »

Ok. so I talked to my lawyer and got some answers as well and went over the letter a bit better.

Here is the good news ladies and gentlemen. My OBPI was one of the main reasons I got my SSD. They combined that with the problems in my right from carpel tunnel and ulnar nerve damage (even after surgery). There was some other stuff too but it all came down to the OBPI stuff.

So there is hope if you are figting for SSD. Good luck.
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Re: Uhm...I think I got my disability

Post by Kath »

Kissy
Glad you have this resolved. There is a code for bpi and we ( UBPN) got it a few years ago. I guess it's time to post the link for those who do not know it. Many SS offices don't seem to be aware of it and also some lawyers are not aware of this change. Nancy and I attended the SS update conference in New York and made a pitch to get a code for bpi injury.

I got mine a few years ago but could not get the main reason. It was bpi combined with other secondary issues. They gave me a hard time and did not recognize that I've been injured since birth because I had to forfeit 5 months pay before I could apply. Hope now with the code it's different.

Here is the code for all those who are not aware of it and are thinking of applying.

https://s044a90.ssa.gov/apps10/POMS.NSF/lnx/0424580030
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

I AM happy for you, Kissy!

Thanks for that link, Kath. We have to rember to post it every so often for Folks. 8-)
Carolyn J
LOBPI/72
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
momo5

Post by momo5 »

I'm not very familiar with computers and I know this will probably sound dumb, but is this a web address? When I click on it nothing happens. Is there another way to get this code or is this it?
patpxc
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: C-5 and C-6. Unable to supinate. Contracture elbow. Wrist bone underdeveloped.
Can raise forearm to mouth level. shoulder is limited in movement. Unable to put arm behind back. Secondary- early arthritis, carpal tunnel, pronator syndrome,scoliosis

Post by patpxc »

Congratulations. What this means is that you will get a back check to the date they first found you disabled--2007, you said and review you every 2 years to see if you have improved.
Thanks
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

momo5,
copy and paste or just type the web address in your browser...
HUGS,
Carolyn J
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

Did you get to the page yet?
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
emilyalberger
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: left arm bpi since birth,can only bend my elbow mostly ne feeling n when i get it its not the right sensation

Post by emilyalberger »

where do you live? ive been applying since 2006 and i live in florida.....i think they determine if someone gets it down here is from a random name selection jar lol

Last bumped by Anonymous on Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:24 pm.