BOXING?

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
BIGJAVSMA

BOXING?

Post by BIGJAVSMA »

I would like to put my sons into recreational boxing. Javier has ROBPI with no hand function. I was wondering, if any of you box, how or do you even put a golve on the injured side?

thanks- Marlyn
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Re: BOXING?

Post by marieke »

I would be careful, if he has no hand function he could break his wrist, even with gloves... I would talk to the instructor and see if he has any advice on how to go about it.
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com
F-Litz
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, LTBPI at age 6.5, Sensory Issues, CP, Diaphragm Weakness, Aspberger's

Post by F-Litz »

I honestly don't want to sound offensive -- but when I saw this post, my jaw dropped.
our kids can't easily protect themselves on the bpi side --
they might also not have the same bone density on the injured side

Maia took a one-step fall in kindergarten that gave her permanent, devastating results.
I would do anything to go back in time to restore what she had.
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

As a form of play exercise, with a family member, this may be a good way to exercise his arm. As a sport for bpi kids I would not recommend it. Sometimes if someone touches my arm, I have a pain sensation. One dr. explained to a group of adults at Lake George that was because our nerves made their own path and grew to the surface.

I have a problem with people touching my arm when they are talking to me... So I can't believe that being punched would be a good thing.

I use to play box (without gloves) with my big brother as a kid... I guess it was a form of exercise. But I never got hit back...LOL..
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
jmar
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: brachial plexus stretch during thoracic outlet syndrome surgery on may 18, 2010.

Post by jmar »

it seems to me that with boxing gloves you could break a bone in the hand and not realize it if there is limited feeling in the hand. that would be a tradgedy. i know with my hand i am very protective for that reason. i wont even put my hand in my pocket without checking that my pinkie finger is not left out to be bent backwards.
veggiebug
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I weighed 11 lbs. 4 oz. when I was born.
I was delivered by forceps which resulted in my ROBPI.
I've never had any surgical intervention.

Post by veggiebug »

I would think that though boxing another person might not be the best, I love to just go through the motions and do the movements, I also find it beneficial for my arm. Just something to consider, have you brought this idea up to his Dr. To get their opinion as well?
karategirl1kyu
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, had surgery when I was 9- they moved muscles and tendons from one side of my arm to the other side. I can lift my arm to about my eye level, can't straigten it all the way and can't completely supinate my wrist.

Post by karategirl1kyu »

ok... so i used to spar in karate... full contact and the gloves were not as fluffy... i have function in my hand though. my parents made it known that i had an injury on the left and thus my entire class knew about it, they'd take it easy on that side, but it'd be full on on the other. i enjoyed it, even though it was 'another' thing that i had to do differently... if he wants to do it... maybe let him try it... a guy i went to college with has one arm and about a half an arm, and he wrestles... and hes amazing at it. its all adaptaion... :)
Shaun Murray
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: paralysed right arm through motorbike accident in 1979 have a lot of chronic neropathic pain and am trying medication

Post by Shaun Murray »

I would recomend Karate i have a totally paralysed right arm and was a national champiopn in 1987 with this disability Ialso acheived the rank of black belt second dan and taught Karate for four years
katep

Post by katep »

I would think you'd have to fully tape his hand and wrist to basically make it a self-supporting "club" inside the boxing glove... and the others might not like that that much. Or else keep his BPI arm out of the picture altogether. I just don't see how this could be safe given that the bones and joints in his hand and wrist do not have the support necessary for them not to be badly damaged by impacting his hand on something.

I can only imagine how horrible it must feel to read this thread, though, and my heart breaks for you Marlyn. We all want our kids to just lead normal lives and not have to suffer again and again throughout their lives. But sometimes that just isn't possible and it is in our childrens' best interest to be realistic about it.

Kate
BIGJAVSMA

Post by BIGJAVSMA »

I haven't been on in a while, and am only now reading the responses to my post. What I meant from my original post was boxing as exercise, not against an opponent. But anyway, Javier is now 8 years old. He is finishing up his 3rd season of baseball, he is starting first baseman, and will be starting his 3rd season of football in a few months. He loves football more than anything in this world, and I can't imagine telling him he can't play out of fear of injuring himself. As a mother of 2 boys, I fear them coming down the stairs...Lord knows they don't understand the concept of walking! I have posted a few videos of him on youtube. search Mrfootball510.
Thanks for the input and concern:)

Marlyn