Adult OBPI retreat info

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
Judy-T
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Right arm OBPI One surgery at age 40 Ulnar nerve retransposition

Adult OBPI retreat info

Post by Judy-T »

I am now in the process of organizing an adult only OBPI retreat in 2014. It will be held in Orlando,Fl. on the first weekend in Feb. . I have a commitment from an OBPI doctor who specializes in adults to be our guest speaker. I will be going over to Orlando soon to find us accommodations. Registration will be opening up soon so you can reserve your place. If anyone wants to help or give suggestions, please feel free to let me know.....Judy
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Re: Adult OBPI retreat info

Post by Carolyn J »

I am there, Judy!! I will work to stay well until then.
I'll be emailing you...i hope the Doc is Dr B but i will be bery happy for any BPI "Guy 8-)

*Heart*
Carolyn J
74++....
LOBI_Amanda
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBI (1983)...No surgies yet....some physical therapy when younger....and recently began having horrible neck/back pain that radiats down BPI arm. Also starting to wake up with some numbness in various fingers and thumbs...seems to be no pattern.

Post by LOBI_Amanda »

I would be interested. Kill two birds with one stone.... meet wonderful BPIers like myself and see my cute and adorable niece that live in Orlando. Please keep us updated on details as they come about.
Judy-T
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Right arm OBPI One surgery at age 40 Ulnar nerve retransposition

Post by Judy-T »

I sent you a message Amanda.
Master DIVER TOM

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

Hi Guys :D
I am thinking of doing this , Any one interested in learning to snorkel will see you at the pool :shock: ;)
Maybe what we post we can show ways to adapt first hand. I know when I try to explain things in my posts it not the same as having that person in front of you ;) :D
I am thinking if there was time I would contact local dive shops who are Dive Heart members to see about trying out scuba in a pool. Dive Heart instructor teacher people with limitation ;) ;)
One thing we all share is a imagination to try and results to share and show :D
Tom
Judy-T

Post by Judy-T »

Deadline for registration of the adult OBPI retreat is August 31st. If you need info please email me.
Tom that is a great idea. I have my PADI license too.But I don't think I can fit it into the schedule.
Master DIVER TOM

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

Hi Judy, :D
Oh, another scuba diver :D
I was thinking about 2014??? It would take a lot of planning, I would contact the dive shops that were Dive Heart, they train divers with limitation. I was on a dive ware a diver was in a wheel chair, he did the dive with a Dive Heart,Dive master.
There is a lot of dive shops who train in pools first, ether free or for a small amount to do pool session. It might be a good idea for a future retreat, because we could show other our way to dive one handed,
There sure is a lot here who love the water :D
I am think about going to the 2014 one.
I am in the middle of selling a house and building in Nc.
I am glad there is other divers out here, You do know why I came up with this ;)
Maybe at the 2013 retreat you might ask who wants to learn to dive :D
I would try to get this together in 2014 retreat, I really want to go in 2014, The next best thing in posting is showing someone to adapt one handed, there way ,in a two handed world ;) :D
Tom