Younger years

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
Ellana
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Erb's Palsy, October 31, 1995, lack of full supination of fore arm (right arm) and facial nerve damage.

Younger years

Post by Ellana »

Hi guys. I had therapy for 3 months after I was born and then they said I was fine. So I did gymnastics and many activities in my adolescence and then in 7th grd, during a physical, I realized I couldn't open my arm all the way. But, up until that point I didn't know I had a problem with my right arm. Or maybe I did but it didn't affect me. But, nonetheless, I started out as a lefty but my mom made me into a righty because she thought it would be a struggle, since my grandma is a lefty and my mom figured it is hard for her. And I do practically everything with my left hand: Eat, throw a football, hold a bag, iron. It seems like my body decided that that was my dominant arm on its own. Can anyone relate?
Master DIVER TOM

Re: Younger years

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

I could of been a lefty like my Brother and sister :roll: Being a lefty does come with alot of issues in a right hand world. So your Mom is right to :shock:
My birth erbs was in my left arm :shock:
it also true, what works for you. to ;) Your brain is wired to think left, which means you will move and do task thinking and adapting this way.
I think right handed so what ever I do it done first by the donate arm you just happen to be left, That being said it is very important to use your injured arm to assist your good arm when ever you can, left or right dominate. It will stretch and strengthen what you can in your limitations and also help with blood flow . By doing this it is your own type of therapy, in your own way you find to adapting in life by thinking one handed :shock:
Struggling to adapt with these injuries always has issues and being lefty does not help , But we all do what we can as we learn by our :idea:s to adapt and try.

Tom
Ellana
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Erb's Palsy, October 31, 1995, lack of full supination of fore arm (right arm) and facial nerve damage.

Post by Ellana »

Thanks a lot :D I definitely try use both as much as possible.
Master DIVER TOM

You are Welcome, :shock: :D
I thought I would and this :roll:
When I was little , I learn playing and doing came with my own way to adapt by :idea: and attempts to try :shock:
There are many ways to find great therapy of your own with these injury , Fun to overcoming is when trys really work out :roll:
It seem you will strengthen what you can by play or of interest , you will have so many interesting things to try, Try to use your limitation to assist your good arm will happen in play or interest to learn ;) because playing and your interest ,by straighten what you can, to overcome your limitation as you can?? , when you to have 1.? arms then the joy comes in doing your trys :shock: :D Thing really to happen In time by your trys, By post. Practice and trying will help, mimicc your movement needed help to. Patents in trying counts,a lot with these injuries are needed :idea: :shock:

Just a thought :shock: :D
Did I explain a experience?? Ok :roll:
What motivates us will move us forward to try by :idea: to try to :shock: ;)
It just seems to be true by so many here by post and outcomes ;) :D
Tom
ASC
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: OBPI

Post by ASC »

Growing up in Maine was a challenge. I was frustrated with being unable to use my right arm. I was forced to use my right arm to write in first grade. Then, I had an experimental surgical procedure. With years of physical therapy and mental health therapy, I was able to find my abilities. Being a person with ROBPI, I have the option to try and/or adapt to new situations. Today, I can look back at the past and see how I overcame potential challenges by adaptation and modification. I still like to learn. Being a in a class or a life experience. Dealing with my BPI/Erb's Palsy is key to my being a well-mannered person. Knowing my abilities and limitations.

Tony (ASC)
ROBPI/Adult
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

OOoooooKay, Since i am 75+++ and lived in the "Dark Ages", *smile*, My "birth DEFECT" as it was called, was the elephant in the living room nobody talked about and i had a very difficult adolescence. When I found UBPN at age 66!! and got the accurate information and name, and attended 2005 UBPN 2005 I found such instant relief and VALIDATION! I was very emotional and retreated alot to my room. I have since grown comfortable and loving myself since then. Sharing IS SOOO Healing!! *Heart*

Carolyn J
LOBPI/75+++ 8-)
Master DIVER TOM

It not all bad here ether being from the caveman days with erbs :roll:
Thing to explain is :shock: Here it goes :shock: :roll:
How to try??? :roll
1 , I get a idea :idea: , I think I can adapt to something by the word called tenacity ;) By post we all have it to ;) :D
2, tenacity come with frustration in trying, it take a lot of patient and a life long quest to do so :| It TOUGH :evil: :twisted:
3. With patient is best to remember things you have learn to overcome ;) when try dont work out :| , to move on is a must to try to do :shock: :evil:
But it seems we get over it and, just find something else to try, ;) :D You end up less depress , I think.
What moves me is the fact that you really never fail by trying it when I give up its :evil: :twisted: and SOOO depressing :shock:
What :idea: to try move me forwards
That my thought on the steps to try, I absolutely believe we all share this to overcome what we can in life thinking one handed, over time i have seen a lot of post just like this to, :shock: ;) :D
I hope this made sense???? :roll:
Tom