Coooold ! OBPI Arm

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
admin
Site Admin

Coooold ! OBPI Arm

Post by admin »

Hi Everyone. I posted some on the old board but first I'll introduce myself again. I'm 51, OBPI left arm.

Well, except for Lyn and maybe a few others, it's that frosty time of year again! LOL! My left arm is just frozen stiff! Sometimes my hand gets so cold, that I lose what little finger movement I have. I have this all winter, as I'm sure you all do.

My question is this. I work in an office an even though I could just wear a glove on my hand all day, I feel self conscience. I've thought about getting one of those thin hand wraps for carpal tunnel syndrome and wearing that instead, but I'm not sure it will keep my hand warm.

Any ideas? Suggestions?
Thanks
-Stephanie
francine

Re: Coooold ! OBPI Arm

Post by francine »

Stephanie...

In the North Coast Medical Hand Therapy catalog they have hand coverings that may be useful for you - many of them are thin and flesh colored... Their number is 800-235-7054 for the catalog.

Also about the coldeness - I just purchased for Maia an undershirt (that goes under her splint) that is 70% wool and 30% silk. She has severe eczema and skin breakdown under her splint so we need to protect her from the foam inside. This shirt is just amazing - it was really expensive ($30) for this size 6 undershirt! - but her skin loves it - she loves it - it keeps her warm.

This particular catalog I purchased it from only has kids sizes but maybe you can do an internet search under companies that sell wool shirts and they might have this? Regular wool would work too but it might be itchy for you... the silk in this one and the way they weave it makes it a non-itchy shirt.... or maybe you could just try silk...

anyway = just some ideas...
good luck,
francine
njbirk

Post by njbirk »

Hi Stephanie,
I have found that anything I can do to increase circulation will help. You have some motion in your fingers you mentioned so I'd recommend keeping some therapy putty on your desk and one of those 'gripmasters' (you can buy them at K Mart)just to keep those fingers moving. Some other tricks, running hot water over the hand and creating friction, it all helps to get the blood flowing.
Nancy
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks eceryone!
I have always wrapped a silk scarf around my hand when it felt cold and I was just sitting at home...now I understand why. I didn't realize that silk could keep out the cold so well. I've been pulling the cuffs of my sweaters down over my hand this whole week...and besides, it makes good use of those extra inches of sweater that we always have on the OBPI arm. LOL!
And Lyn, you are right, who cares about what other people think if I have a glove on in work. Wouldn't do any harm at this point...I've worked at the same lobrary for 27 years!! Nancy, I have one of those "tension releasing squeezing" balls in my desk drawer, it's really good to get the circulation going. I really need to work out my hand more often than I do.
Well, have a lovely New Years celebration everyone and lets all hope the world is a much more safer and peaceful place in 2002.
Take Care,
Stephanie
Kathleen

Post by Kathleen »

Don't laugh

Play dough works well for the fingers.
I just wish I could keep my fingers warm... The right hand and arm are cold even when I am typing... You would think that the exercise would help.....

Of to play with some hot wax... from therapy bath...LOL

Happy New Year to all.... My one wish is for World Peace...
Kath