Dr. Alan Belzberg of John Hopkins Hospital

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
EllenB

Re: Dr. Alan Belzberg of John Hopkins Hospital

Post by EllenB »

Hey,

Just to let you know that it was Dr. Belzberg who we'd been referred to & apparently he has a good reputation. Gene remembered, which is good since I'd had one of my brain farts & was fuzzy on the details.

Ellen
punchy sue

Post by punchy sue »

I had surgery by Dr. Belzberg last October and couldn't say nicer things about him. His very attentive, takes time to answer your questions and he knows his knows his field. I avulsed c5-t1 on my left side and had a totally flail arm and a 2 finger gap from my humerus head to my shoulder joint.

My surgury was 4 months post accident. For my surgury, Dr. B first explored to see in fact what nerves were truely avulsed. Then he grafted my phrenic nerve (the diaphragm nerve) to the nerve that controls the muscles that hold the arm in the shoulder socket. Then he grafted the nerves from my 4-6 ribs to the muscles that flex the arm (bicep and brachialis). The surgery took 10 hours and recovery includes immobilization of the arm for 6 weeks by wearing a special sling.

I'm about 1 year post operation and have gotten back my deltoids and supraspinatus so I no longer have a the gap in my shoulder socket. I can also pull my arm away from my body fairly strongly. So far I haven't had any recovery in my bicep and the odds are decreasing that it will happen, but I still have some time left for it to kick in.

I personally really like Dr. Belzberg and thought he was upfront in the chances of my recovery and has been supportive throughout my recovery. I hope this info helps and good luck and stay strong.
THANX LOVE SUSAN
robin888

Post by robin888 »

We had a wonderful experience with Dr. Belzberg. We had seen a number of the experts around the country and for many reasons ended up using Dr. Belzberg and his group at Hopkins. They were so professional and caring. All of the experts we saw at the various centers did agree that the Hopkins group was perhaps the most progressive
The best advice came from the patients we met in the waiting room. There were 2 adults and one young child who were more than a year after surgery and they were doing great.
You can't go wrong with any of the expert groups but we certainly are going to be strong supporters of the Hopkins group.
david wilson

Post by david wilson »

Dr Belzberg did my graphts 11/02 and, like Sue, have gotten return to my deltoid. It has returned from 2.5'' of subluxation and is in the early stages of return to my biceps and triceps. It seems that regeneration keeps creeping down my arm so.....ho knows where it will stop. Dr B is THE MAN as far as I am concerned and a fine fellow. Red
javi23

Dr. Alan Belzberg of John Hopkins Hospital

Post by javi23 »

Has anyone had surgery with Dr. Alan Belzberg? If so, what was your outcome and what surgical techniques were used?

Last bumped by Anonymous on Tue May 27, 2014 3:37 pm.