plaster off

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
kathy

Re: plaster off

Post by kathy »

Thank you George for the well wishes. I hope the next surgery will be my last. The doctor had not planned on taking the cast off at the 2 week visit, but found it was too loose and had to replace it, so the first signing of my cast is gone. This one is a bright blue, so we might have to use a silver pen to sign it. They wanted to give me an orange one, but it was a little bright for me. LOL

Kathy
athos

plaster off

Post by athos »

Today I had plaster taken off. Wasn't given any splint or other gadget so that should be it.

When I'm relaxed, the wrist now stays in near neutral position, and the hand and thumb stay in a more natural semi-open position. The whole forearm looks a lot more natural.

As far as new movement is concerned I'm able to extend fingers and wrist only a small amount. The thumb is a bit better. Looking at my old movements, finger and thumb flexion are fine. What is lacking a bit is wrist flexion. I can flex it a bit, about 30 degrees, but no further. I guess that movement will go a bit because some tendons that were flexing are now extending. Pronation and supination if forearm are unchanged.

The good thing is that Carlstedt said I could go swimming again from tomorrow. Any swimmers out there who used to swim at a good level before their BPI will have noticed how good swimming is for the BPI. I'm grateful that I used to swim competitively.

I also saw the therapist who gave me an exercize to do every hour for about 2 or 3 mins. He was a lot less keen of the idea of me going swimming and told me not to overdo it. I'm seeing him again in 3 weeks time, and Carlstedt again in 3 months time.

So now it's time to make the most of what we've got.

Long post by my standards. Hope I haven't bored u too much.

Ciao, Athos

Last bumped by Anonymous on Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:17 am.