ROLL CALL ( LURKERS TOO!!!!!!! )

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
Brandon_3

Re: ROLL CALL ( LURKERS TOO!!!!!!! )

Post by Brandon_3 »

I am here! But its been awhile. And the last few months have been a blur. I had a mucle transfer from my trapezious to my tricep. And I could feel it work immediately. I had my surgery March 5th and I only have one more month until I can start rehab. I hope everyone is doing well, and do not give up! Ever! I was entertaining the Idea of amputation, and now after the surgery the only thing that doesn't work is my fingers. So even without hope, I never gave up.
bopugh
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: TBPI from motorcycle wreck in nov 09

Post by bopugh »

Hi, Im Brian from Houston TX. I got a TBPI bec a deer decided it'd be cool to play chicken with a motorcycle. I just had surg on Mar 11 and im already getting movement in my bicep. I know I havent dealt with this issue for very long, but remember no matter what the doc has to say, NEVER GIVE UP! Peace from Houston TX.
stuharrison46
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: tbpi rta in 1978 19th may almost 32 years had 32 fractures in one sitting after hitting a lamp post on my rd 250 yamaha, spent almost a year in pinderfields hospital, but the lasting injury is the flail brachial plexus. all the best peeps. Stu

Post by stuharrison46 »

HI EVERYBODY. MY NAME IS STUART HARRISON AND I HAVE HAD A TBPI OF THE RIGHT ARM SINCE MAY 1978 ALMOST 32 YEARS, HOPE TO HEAR FROM SOME OF YOU TO SEE HOW YOU COPE WITH THINGS ESPECIALLY PAIN.
STU HARRISON PONTEFRACT UK
joee

Post by joee »

Joey Lopez, Denver City, Texas (near Lubbock) streatched auxillary nerves from BP. ATV accident 8-1-09, surgery 8-7-09, surgery 12-18-09. I have full hand function and cannot raise arm. 70% ROM passively.
Christopher
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Date of Injury: 12/15/02

Level of Injury:
-dominant side C5, C6, & C7 avulsed. C8 & T1 stretched & crushed

BPI Related Surgeries:
-2 Intercostal nerves grafted to Biceps muscle,
-Free-Gracilis muscle transfer to Biceps Region innervated with 2 Intercostal nerves grafts.
-2 Sural nerves harvested from both Calves for nerve grafting.
-Partial Ulnar nerve grafted to Long Triceps.
-Uninjured C7 Hemi-Contralateral cross-over to Deltoid muscle.
-Wrist flexor tendon transfer to middle, ring, & pinky finger extensors.

Surgical medical facility:
Brachial Plexus Clinic at The Mayo Clinic, Rochester MN
(all surgeries successful)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."
~Theodore Roosevelt

Post by Christopher »

BUMP

ROLL CALL

Christopher
motorcycle accident 12/15/02
Los Angeles, CA
Fred4545
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 48 yr male with BPI from auto accident on 8/07/11. Suspected C5-T1 avulsion from early EMG but recently have flexed bicep. Had many serious and life-threatening injuries to deal with first, but am now doing much better. Just had nerve transfer surgery at Mayo by Dr. Skinner to reinnervate deltoid and tricep. Once this is working, we will move on to nerve/muscle transfer for dealing with my hand.

Post by Fred4545 »

Hi all. My name is Jeff and I'm from Springboro, Ohio. I had a mva on 8/07/11 with multiple serious injuries that were life threatening, so TBPI was diagnosed but not treated for 4 months while I was recovering.

I am a regular user and enjoy the stories and support I get from all of you.
ArmStrong
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: HI BPI FAMILY ON SEPT.19 2010 I CRASHED ON MY MOTORCYCLE AND SUFFERD A FRACTURED BACK AND NECK AND A CLOSED,TRAUMATIC BPI LEFT ARM PARALYZED,SOME FINGER AND WRIST MOVEMENT.

Post by ArmStrong »

ArmStrong reporting for duty

victim of circumstance.........and a motorcycle mishap.

L.A.,Ca
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

"Faithful Reader" (of all Forums too):
Carolyn J :) 8-)
LOBPI/74
powerfulgazelle
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Mom to 9 yr old daughter ("the Despot"),
with bilateral brachial plexopathy from
bilateral cervical ribs, R worse than L.
Originally diagnosed because of an episode of pain
from severe compression of the subclavian artery,
subclavian vein.
Had resection of the R cervical rib and neurolysis
6/2012.
The Despot is a sunny, smart, force to be reckoned with.
(The Despot's mama may be up for Worst Parent Evah
for not noticing that her little girl's hands were atrophying...)

Post by powerfulgazelle »

Hi, I am Christine, mom to 9 yr old daughter, M.

M. has (had) a rather impressive set of extra ribs sprouting from her C7, wrapping over and articulating to the front of her first "true" rib, compressing her subclavian artery/vein/brachial plexus in each arm. She had "normal" arm/hand function until approximately 2 years ago (hindsight is perhaps less than 20/20)...but gradually began to lose function. Cause was identified in 3/2012 when it was discovered that she was losing the pulse at her wrist. She had surgery to remove the extra rib on the R (dominant hand) in 6/2012, so now has good circulation, but not such good arm/hand function yet. I guess her issue is closest to a TBPI, as she did originally have normal function.
wafloodzone

Post by wafloodzone »

Hi, I'm Lisa from Washington State. I had a motorcycle accident 7/27/2011. Complete avolsion of c5 - c8 and T1. I love all the help and support I get from all of you. Without this wonderful group of people I would not have achieved the level of healing/acceptance that I have. You are all there holding my hand every day. Thank you. :)