severe brachial plexis injury to my dominant left arm

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
cbe411
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: MVA in 2001, nerve graph in 2002, Median Nerve Transfer in 2004 and an unsuccessful Gracillis Muscle Transfer in 2006. I am living life and loving it! Feel free to contact me :)

Re: severe brachial plexis injury to my dominant left arm

Post by cbe411 »

I take Lyrica too, just recently went from 300mg a day to 450! I have put on some weight too and wondered if it is that or an I just LAZY!? I really wonder... I am tired, I work full time and am almost done with my Masters (full time)! I think that is why i am tired... I am interested... anyone else??

COurtney
lizzyb

Post by lizzyb »

Unfortunately, ALL drugs alter our metabolism in some way, even the humble aspirin. Some drugs do slow down everything, and thats why there is a weight gain usually.

This together with loss of energy levels due to the very nature of pain killers combines to make a weight gain. Sometimes, the only way to deal with this is eat sensibly and force yourself to take more excercise, even if it is just an extra walk around the block, or a few more lenghts swimming in a pool.

I piled on the pounds during the years I was taking ametriptylene, and it was this and many other side effects that finally forced me to stop taking them. I have to admit it was hard giving them up but, boy, was I grateful I did when I finally got my life (and my figure!) back!
Jacquie

Post by Jacquie »

Thanks for writing...I just started lyrica for an injury I suffered from a nerve block during shoulder surgery. I have had the tinnitus and had no idea it was the medication. I have also begun weight gain, which I cannot afford. Did you finally get control?

Thanks
trr_amesh

Post by trr_amesh »

Unfotunately i also got TBPI, after one month of injury, did the nerve graft surgery on Feb 2006. After that I also take Lyrica 150 mg or Maxgallon 150 mg per day if it is very LAZY too... for avoiod the lazy and medicine i am plannned to work full time job and almost done(I am instrumentation Engineer). But whenever i will feel pain in that time i am trying to divert some way Like Mossage in sholder, bicteps and deltoid. if here any one having some other idea pass it ....

Ramesh
apoby

Post by apoby »

Hi,
I am 2 years after ski accident. I have severe rtbi and I am more than one year after nerve graft. I have something coming back to my biceps, triceps and deltoid muscle. I have internal feeling but no movement with my arm. I have spinal fusion from T1 to T10. Broken bones I don’t want to count. I don’t consider those as a problem. Worst of all is nerve pain. I was taking Gabapentin some 1200mg a day. In November last year I switched to Lyrica. Daily dosage is 600mg plus Percocet 5/325. Since Nov. last year I gain 30 pounds. Lyrica is better pain control. Side effects if tiredness, sleepiness, laziness. I am somehow ok for 2-3 days in a week and than I have days I am tired and can sleep 16 hours a day. I can’t help. I had to live job I just start. Office base job is something I have to stay away. When I move during time I am up I can reduce all bad side effects. I am very tired of my life and don’t want to thing about future. My age tripled since my accident and I understand how is to be very old.
god tool

severe brachial plexis injury to my dominant left arm

Post by god tool »

I unfortunately got a severe brachial plexis injury to my dominant left arm on June 19, 2004 by a falling 140 ft. tree. The tree fell without warning from out of the blue. The tip of it hit me breaking my humerous, 4 ribs, internal injuries, and a TBI. For 2 months after the injury I took many t-3's, but then started taking gabapentine until I learned about lyrica. I have since gained 30 lbs, lack motivation, and increased loudness of tinnitus. I'm taking 300mg of lyrica each day for radial nerve damage, stabs of nerve pain, and pins 'n needles in my left arm\hand. The lyrica works well but I'm getting fed up with the side effects. I look so forward to getting off it. Right now I am tappering off prozak, down to 30 mg per. day from 40 mg. Anyone relate to this... I really hope the tinnutus goes away... I hope to return or close to how I was before. I need support.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Tue May 27, 2014 12:18 pm.