I have designed a great sling

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
Carless

I have designed a great sling

Post by Carless »

My accident was 29 years ago (C-6 thru T-1 BPI) when I was 20 years old. Motorcycle wreck.
My Dr.s said at the time that most people with simular injuries wind up amputating the limb after about ten years. I thought "Yeah. Right."
My mom designed and made me some pretty cool slings and over the years I have had the original design modified to better meet my needs. I have been wearing these slings for 29 years now and since I'm having more made right now, I was thinking that I'm not the only one with injuries like mine.
They allow you to be a lot more mobile and aren't bad looking.
The cool thing is that most new people you meet assume that the injury is recent and those who know you rarely notice it when they see you. They are used to it.
I'm guaging interest here..... would anyone here be interested if I were to start producing these things? I can send photos of me wearing one if there is any interest.
jennyb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: January 1980 Yamaha RD200 vs 16 wheeler truck, result, 1 totally paralysed right arm. I was 21, now 54. I had no surgery, I don't regret this. Decided to totally ignore limitations (easily done aged 21) adapted very quickly to one handed life, got married, had 3 kids, worked- the effect of the injury on my life (once the pain stopped being constant) was minimal and now, aged 54, I very rarely even think of it, unless I bash it or it gets cold, then I wish I'd had it amputated :) Except for a steering knob on my car, I have no adaptations to help with life, mainly because I honestly don't think of myself as disabled and the only thing I can't do is peel potatoes, which is definitely a good thing.

Re: I have designed a great sling

Post by jennyb »

Depends how expensive they would be Carless! I wouldn't mind one for wearing in crowds and stuff like that, which is the only time I personally want to protect my arm. I'm 27 years C4-T1 bpi but haven't worn a sling since the first few months, i find they get in the way when I'm driving, hold my hand in the exact right place for getting burnt when I'm cooking (and of course I don't feel it) and slings seem to invite morons to ask what's wrong with my arm, then I have to watch them recoil in horror when I say it's been totally paralysed for 27 years. Nobody ever notices my arm when it's not in a sling, which is odd because it's very weird looking and claw like, but nobody noticing suits me.
I'm currently on the waiting list for amputation (!) but New Zealands health system is like the worst mixture of public and private health you can imagine, I don't see myself hitting the top of the list any time soon.
I haven't seen too many postings from people who have had the bpi as long as me without amputating, (1980, I was 21) so hi and nice to 'meet' you!
Carless

Post by Carless »

I don't know how much this lady is planning to charge me, but the last time I had 10 of them made and that lady charged me U.S. $15.00 each. Of course, I had brought her all the materials she needed to do the sewing and I don't know how much I paid for the cloth, buckles, etc.. probably around 10 or fifteen bucks per sling.
If there is enough interest, I thought I could do a cost analysis and hopefully have them produced for around U.S. $35.00 to $40.00 each. Maybe less if there is enough demand.
If you want one, let me know and I will get a price together for you. And if you'ed like me to email you pics, email me regarding it to carless@cloudninenatural.com and I will send some pics.
Carless

Post by Carless »

> Would be interested in seeing the sling! Boyfriend
> has LTBPI due to motorcycle accident 1 year ago.
> Totally paralyzed, says the arm just gets in his
> s way, he would just rather have it gone but getting
> medical care w/out insurance of course doesn't
> happen. So he wears the sling most of the time.
> Spent over $500 on a Wilmer orthosis but the strap
> p over his sublaxed shoulder causes pain and the
> strap going under his good arm's armpit is
> uncomfortable, so the thing actually contributed to
> his never ending all day pain so he just uses a $10
> sling you can get at the local CVS drugstore! They
> don't last long.

See the above message and email me for pics. The lady just called and said the first one is ready, so I will talk to her about the price and see if she is interested in making them in volume. I will try to have a price by tomorrow.
Christopher
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Date of Injury: 12/15/02

Level of Injury:
-dominant side C5, C6, & C7 avulsed. C8 & T1 stretched & crushed

BPI Related Surgeries:
-2 Intercostal nerves grafted to Biceps muscle,
-Free-Gracilis muscle transfer to Biceps Region innervated with 2 Intercostal nerves grafts.
-2 Sural nerves harvested from both Calves for nerve grafting.
-Partial Ulnar nerve grafted to Long Triceps.
-Uninjured C7 Hemi-Contralateral cross-over to Deltoid muscle.
-Wrist flexor tendon transfer to middle, ring, & pinky finger extensors.

Surgical medical facility:
Brachial Plexus Clinic at The Mayo Clinic, Rochester MN
(all surgeries successful)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."
~Theodore Roosevelt

Post by Christopher »

Carless,

I just sent you an email about your sling. Would love to see some images of it. Thanks.

Chris
A-ya

Post by A-ya »

Hey! I'm really interested in seeing what is the design of your sling. I want to design a neoprene "sleeve" sling for my boyfriend who wakeboards as well. We can swap pics :)
Thanks
a_yarugby@hotmail.com
Fernando

Post by Fernando »

Hi A-ya

I will e-mail you some pictures of what I use for water ski and cool that your boy friend keeps riding.

Saludos
Fernando
trr_amesh

Post by trr_amesh »

Chris

i wants to also see your sling. please send me on email with some images..........my id.. trr_amesh@rediffmail.com

Goodluck
Ramesh
A-ya

Post by A-ya »

Hi!!! Thank you Fernando!! That is sweet of you. Yes, well, my boyfriend didn't start riding until after his accident. He quickly progressed in snowboarding and skateboarding, just to keep his mind off the 24/7 pain. Now, he's got to work on the water sports :P
Thanks again!
Fernando

Post by Fernando »

Hi A-ya did you get the my e-mail, I send it yesterday?