Celebrating our community

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
jennyb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: January 1980 Yamaha RD200 vs 16 wheeler truck, result, 1 totally paralysed right arm. I was 21, now 54. I had no surgery, I don't regret this. Decided to totally ignore limitations (easily done aged 21) adapted very quickly to one handed life, got married, had 3 kids, worked- the effect of the injury on my life (once the pain stopped being constant) was minimal and now, aged 54, I very rarely even think of it, unless I bash it or it gets cold, then I wish I'd had it amputated :) Except for a steering knob on my car, I have no adaptations to help with life, mainly because I honestly don't think of myself as disabled and the only thing I can't do is peel potatoes, which is definitely a good thing.

Celebrating our community

Post by jennyb »

http://ubpn.org/messageboard/thread ... 1&tstart=0 not sure how many of you read the general message board so here's a link to a thread there, Nancy is looking for photographs of people achieving milestones in their bpi journey for the next edition of Outreach. Would be nice to see some tbpi in there too.
Dunno about you guys, there isn't a single photo of me on any of the milestones I remember. Getting the lid off a jar of jam, fastening buttons, doing up my shoelaces, uncorking wine, changing my newborn's nappy, all those things that one by one I became able to do through just pure bloody mindedness, and because there was noone else around to do it. For an adult tbpi the milestones are about survival as an individual, and I don't think we celebrate them at the time, we just move on to the next one. Hope some of you had the foresight to record some of the journey.
Cheers all
Jen NZ