Undoing nerve damage

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
Christopher
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Date of Injury: 12/15/02

Level of Injury:
-dominant side C5, C6, & C7 avulsed. C8 & T1 stretched & crushed

BPI Related Surgeries:
-2 Intercostal nerves grafted to Biceps muscle,
-Free-Gracilis muscle transfer to Biceps Region innervated with 2 Intercostal nerves grafts.
-2 Sural nerves harvested from both Calves for nerve grafting.
-Partial Ulnar nerve grafted to Long Triceps.
-Uninjured C7 Hemi-Contralateral cross-over to Deltoid muscle.
-Wrist flexor tendon transfer to middle, ring, & pinky finger extensors.

Surgical medical facility:
Brachial Plexus Clinic at The Mayo Clinic, Rochester MN
(all surgeries successful)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."
~Theodore Roosevelt

Undoing nerve damage

Post by Christopher »

What this article or video news clip doesn't state is how long he had been suffering from paralysis and nerve pain prior to surgery, which does leave open the possibility of natural recuperation & regeneration.

I'd think giving the nerves some "breathing room" to heal would, no matter what, be beneficial, as long as the surgeon was top notch and no new damage or scar tissue build up was a result of surgery. I can see the reluctance of a neurosurgeon to preform this type of operation, and the necessity for it as well.

I met a patient in the waiting room at Dr. Aaron Filler's office in Santa Monica, Ca (http://www.nervemed.com/media-press.html) who had great success with nerve decompression surgery which lasted 3 years, but was returning for another one. She had extremely debilitating pain and paralysis of her right arm & shoulder. She had Thoracic Outlet Syndrome and had a job that required her to lift her arms above chest level most of the day (Sound Boom Operator for a TV show).

http://news14.com/content/headlines/585 ... fault.aspx
=============================
Undoing nerve damage

08/05/2007 05:55 AM
By: Ivanhoe Newswire

Dan Zuckerman describes the pain in his neck.
WASHINGTON, D.C. – Today, a growing number of people suffer from neuropathy – a debilitating condition caused by nerve damage that can result in pain and numbness. Now, a recent medical breakthrough is giving patients with nerve damage a new lease on life.

After sustaining serious nerve damage at age 21, Dan Zuckerman never thought he’d be able to play the drums again. “The thought does cross my mind how easily things could have turned out so much differently,” he said.

As a college student pledging a fraternity, Zuckerman drank too much and passed out in a dangerous position for 18 hours. It affected the nerves in his neck as well as his knees. When someone finally found Zuckerman, he says he could move his fingers and toes but had no movement in his arm or leg. The pain Zuckerman experienced was unbearable, and he couldn’t walk correctly. He also had difficulty raising his left arm. “It was very scary,” he continued.

Zuckerman eventually found his way to one of the few doctors in the country who performs peripheral nerve surgery – a procedure that eliminates pain by removing tissue around the nerves. This releases the tight space and decompresses the nerve, allowing it to function normally.

“You create extra space around the tight tunnel the nerve is going through by decompressing the nerve, and [the patients] regain the sensation,” explained Ivica Ducic, M.D., Ph.D., chief of peripheral nerve surgery at Georgetown University Medical Center in Washington, D.C. “Pins and needles go away.”

According to Dr. Ducic, the procedure is appropriate for patients with most types of neuropathy. Relief isn’t always immediate, but there is an 80 percent success rate with most patients over time. “There is a very solid percentage of population that are literally cured by surgery,” Dr. Ducic said.

Zuckerman saw an improvement in three months and is finally getting back to studying Russian and planning his future. “[After the surgery,] I was really able to say, ‘These nerves are starting to make a connection,’” he said.

Eight months after the surgery, Zuckerman had recovered to nearly 100 percent, regaining the ability to lift his arm and move his foot. “I’m extremely happy. I’m 100 percent functional,” he added. “I can do everything I want … I can live the life I want.”