Motorcycle accidents.

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
Henry

Re: Motorcycle accidents.

Post by Henry »

Me too, in 1982.

I was the passenger.

22 broken bones. All healed. Except for the onese in the arm that was removed later.

Oddly enough, thinking about a trike. Must be a mid life crisis.
jennyb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: January 1980 Yamaha RD200 vs 16 wheeler truck, result, 1 totally paralysed right arm. I was 21, now 54. I had no surgery, I don't regret this. Decided to totally ignore limitations (easily done aged 21) adapted very quickly to one handed life, got married, had 3 kids, worked- the effect of the injury on my life (once the pain stopped being constant) was minimal and now, aged 54, I very rarely even think of it, unless I bash it or it gets cold, then I wish I'd had it amputated :) Except for a steering knob on my car, I have no adaptations to help with life, mainly because I honestly don't think of myself as disabled and the only thing I can't do is peel potatoes, which is definitely a good thing.

Post by jennyb »

Motorcycle accidents are usually cited as the commonest cause of tbpi, I'm another one, 1980 16 wheeler came on my side of the road. I was lucky in the circumstances, 6 breaks in the arm, all fingers smashed and right tbpi. It was a bloody great big truck.
There is a roll call that's been going on this board for a number of years, in which people have been adding their details so I can add up the stats. Motorbikes are easily the number one cause (or the drivers that hit motorbikes I guess).If you're not on there, add yourself, the more numbers we get the better a picture we can see.
I too have toyed with the idea of a trike but I think I'm over it now....:)
motormonk

Post by motormonk »

Hi all,

My first post's title was something like 'yet another motorcycle accident victim'... Heh

Yeah, some car hit me from my back and sent me flying over to the incoming lane, on a clear sunday when I was just cruising down a straight, trying to go to my grandma. It turned out to be different kind of family reunion. :P

Broke my left humerus, ruptured my spleen and finally, partially (they just say so, I just dunno) avulsed C5-C6, possibly stretched C-7. They screwed in a titanium rod along the whole humeral shaft. Then we noticed my nerve damage. Started PT and the big waiting came along. Had no shoulder movement, no shoulder rotation, almost no elbow flexion and extension. My hand and forearm were all right, I only had this little elbow movement through the brachialis. Had no sensation over the patch over the upper arm too.

This was almost a year ago.

Recovered elbow flexion, elbow extension, some forward shoulder movement (+/- 90 degrees forward) mostly through scapular muscles' recovery. Still waiting for my rotator cuff, posterior and middle deltoid. Typical C5 injury: Forearm/hand is OK, elbow flexion/extension comes back in time, scapularis comes back and you wait and wish for deltoid and rotator cuff. I hate to fit into some common scenarios. Don't you?

I was checking how other people were doing and I've seen this thread. Hi all again!
adg007

Post by adg007 »

Hi Shaun,

Had my bike accident in 1997, RBPI, avulsed T1 to C5 and compound fracture of R/radius & ulnar (bone popped out of my arm....yummy!). Have some shoulder rotation and slight elbow flexion. That's me!

Cheers Andrew

ps: where bout's in Aus are you Shaun? Sydney boy myself.
shaunnb

Post by shaunnb »

Hi Andrew,
Nice to meet you.
Im in little Adelaide south australia.
damn motorbikes....but i still love them haha.

god bless

shaun
stx431

Post by stx431 »

Hey, Hope you're going to make it to Phillip Island for the moto-gp in October. Would love to be there. Stoner has been having tire problems, but Bridgestone should have things figured out by then.
Have fun...

C-ya, Dick
shaunnb

Post by shaunnb »

Definitely, used to ride there..but this year i think ill miss the ride ;)
Stoner is great; young aussie.
But have followed Rossi the doctor ever since he was coming up in the 125, 250s.
So i guess im a Rossi fan all the way..plus he rides a Yamaha...my R1 is coming together now.

Shaun
Harry2385

Post by Harry2385 »

January 19th 2008. Car pulled out in front of me. Hope to have surgery soon.

Harry O
shaunnb

Post by shaunnb »

Definitely get onto to the surgery as soon as possible...
i had mine within 3 months of my accident...and the recovery is a pain....i can only lift around 100gms...with my left arm now...but its improving!
good luck Harry!

god bless

shaun
Christopher
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Date of Injury: 12/15/02

Level of Injury:
-dominant side C5, C6, & C7 avulsed. C8 & T1 stretched & crushed

BPI Related Surgeries:
-2 Intercostal nerves grafted to Biceps muscle,
-Free-Gracilis muscle transfer to Biceps Region innervated with 2 Intercostal nerves grafts.
-2 Sural nerves harvested from both Calves for nerve grafting.
-Partial Ulnar nerve grafted to Long Triceps.
-Uninjured C7 Hemi-Contralateral cross-over to Deltoid muscle.
-Wrist flexor tendon transfer to middle, ring, & pinky finger extensors.

Surgical medical facility:
Brachial Plexus Clinic at The Mayo Clinic, Rochester MN
(all surgeries successful)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."
~Theodore Roosevelt

Post by Christopher »

Motorcycles! Doesn't anyone listen to their Mom!!!

I always have tinges of shame ridden guilt when ever I say I got this injury while riding a bike. Before I even finish the word "motorcy..." I can here the "I told you so" from all the hoards of good-doers that I've ever run across, breathing down my neck all at once! Ahhh!

Sometimes I just say "motor vehicle" if I'm just not up for the staged bravado that I need to make them laugh it off. Ahh it's all a joke anyway. I can't wait for the future, when Stem Cell therapies will regenerate just about anything, accept a brain with common sense. Cause you can't regenerate what you never had to start with, ha! Crash injuries being long term will be a thing of the past, we'll live to 220 years old, the planet will be over populated and we'll all be riding motorcycles, because there'll be no room for cars. Just hit up any third world nation and thats where they're at already.

Alright bed time for bonzo...