Took a stack

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
jennyb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: January 1980 Yamaha RD200 vs 16 wheeler truck, result, 1 totally paralysed right arm. I was 21, now 54. I had no surgery, I don't regret this. Decided to totally ignore limitations (easily done aged 21) adapted very quickly to one handed life, got married, had 3 kids, worked- the effect of the injury on my life (once the pain stopped being constant) was minimal and now, aged 54, I very rarely even think of it, unless I bash it or it gets cold, then I wish I'd had it amputated :) Except for a steering knob on my car, I have no adaptations to help with life, mainly because I honestly don't think of myself as disabled and the only thing I can't do is peel potatoes, which is definitely a good thing.

Re: Took a stack

Post by jennyb »

get hold of your doctor and ask, would be my advice. Its probly just an extreme case of hitting the funny bone but when you fall like a rag doll weird stuff happens, so check it out.
Hope everythings ok, fingers crossed!
Jen NZ
mjq1602

Post by mjq1602 »

Well I hope it gets better for you soon.

Thing about this is that the signals are so mixed up everything is weird.

I had a small fracture in my elbow in January there, came off my bike when I hit some ice, and I felt it just as sore in my fingers as I did my elbow. Every time I hurt my arm I always seem to feel it in my fingers. Also, when I touch my chest it tickles my fingers. This has never gone away even after 23yrs of the blasted injury.

I guess it's just something I/we have to live with.

So I hope what's happened to you isn't as bad as you think.

Tickely fingers crossed for you.

Mike
shaunnb

Post by shaunnb »

Hey guys,
thanks for your input.
saw a doctor today at hospital, and you are right the way that i think the median nerve passes round your funny bone could have caused it.
and should be fine.
did a sensory test on my back shoulders and effected arm etc.
have a great spot on the top of my affected forearm that is numb as...party tricks? haha.and a section inside my bicep on the affected arm.
i would never imagine sitting there being poked with different grades of monofillament would be so taxing!
i was spent after.
Just wanted to add, all the guys and gals on this board are great.
would have been in a deep dark lonely place without you all.
cheers.
god bless.
shaun
swhite1
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Bad fall in June of 2006
LTBPI

Post by swhite1 »

Always good to hear from you Shaun.
Sorry about the fall. I guess you could consider yourself lucky...I fell TWICE in less than 45 days and I hit the hardest place of all, my head. 20 staples put in my head and 20 staples taken out. Ouch!
Scott
shaunnb

Post by shaunnb »

Ah those staples...yeh i had some huge metal ones in my left hip...would have been unpleasant in your head Scott!
Im definitely lacking in coordination these days ;)

shaun
swhite1
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Bad fall in June of 2006
LTBPI

Post by swhite1 »

Shaun, do you have balance problems? Does anybody? I know there has been discussion about walking into door jambs I do it all the time but I honestly cannot recall any answer to the question of balance.(Excellent Moody Blues album from 1970) The reason I ask is because I have once again fallen cracking my skull open. This time though I was able to stop the bleeding so I avoided the hospital and more staples. That makes it three times this year, actually three times in the last 4 months. I wonder if I'm blacking out or having some sort of seizures? I dunno. I guess I'll go back to the hospital and let them know just for the record. You know in case somebody is keeping score.
Peace out,
Scott
shaunnb

Post by shaunnb »

Yeh, i think i do...and because of the severe muscle atrophy in my right shoulder...boy does it hurt when i bump my shoulder into something, door jambs..car door frames ;)
I think also i get car sick when a passenger in a car these days...and that is something new :(
But in addition to the injury i had an antibiotic in hospital which can also cause damage to the inner ear.
I hate not being able to run these days...
run like a spastic..haha..
shaunnb

Took a stack

Post by shaunnb »

Hey Guys and girls hope you are all well.
The other day..uncoordinated me fell over on a slippery floor.
i smacked myself on the chin, and have a fat lip and a sore chin...great. guess that is the problem when you cant put your hands out when you fall.
but i must have put my elbow of my brachial plexus nerve affected arm out, as it is bruised and has a big lump.
the thing im worried about is that the sensation of the left index finger on the affected arm has changed and now have a pins and needle feeling in it.
when i had my distall bypass nerve surgery the used fasiclles of my ulnar and median nerves.
so i worried that i might have stuffed up my surgery.
as yet my deltoid hasnt come back.
by bicep and brachiallis is still ok. so the nerve surgery hasnt stuffed up there.
what do you think?
god bless
shaun

Last bumped by Anonymous on Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:02 pm.