coming up on second rebirthday...

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
swhite1
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Bad fall in June of 2006
LTBPI

Re: coming up on second rebirthday...

Post by swhite1 »

My day? June 11 2006.
The Sunday before fathers day.

Message was edited by: swhite1
swhite1
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Bad fall in June of 2006
LTBPI

Post by swhite1 »

Wow! Dan you have an amazing talent. You can say just a few words and stir up many memories. I know I told someone here about my 'rebirthday'. I didn't take any of my meds until way late at night. I could not believe the burning was still there and was still so intense. I'm pretty sure it's the Gabapentin(sp?)that keeps the edge off but by the time I was ready to take anything at all...I took it all. For that day anyway.
msjdgal

Post by msjdgal »

sons first rebirthday was 8/7/09 motorcycle accident, lady ran a stop sign, we go by the intersection often. haven't been on these boards in the past few months but thought i'd check - we had thigh muscle transplant and 4 nerves rerouted from his chest in march (after surgery we had complications that landed us in the ER on different occasions), we fly out to mayo next week for 3 appts - our first check up since surgery - LBPI - dr bishop, hand surgeon, and emg appt. as far as seeing a difference, maybe very slight - we still do therapy 3 times a week - in and out of water - compassion for all of you on here - my son is learning new things to occupy his time .. a switch from skydiving, biking, rock climbing, etc. each day is a blessing for us shelly
Heddip

Post by Heddip »

My first rebirthday I had a "survivor's" party. All my friends came and talked about the things they'd survived that year.

One friend had survived her husband coming out of the closet, with a divorce to follow.

It was a good reminder that we all have tough things to deal with--it's how we handle it that makes a difference!
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

May I Please repeat...
YOU TBPI GUYS ROCK !!! :) :)
You DO know how to C-e-l-e-b-r-a-t-e!
I love that.

Carolyn J
LOBPI adult/71
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
Mardelle

Post by Mardelle »

I personally never choose to celebrate my loss. I embrace what I cannot change...and I look around me too see what I do have...and show gratitude...not annually, but everyday. When I reflect on the losses, my husband, my arm, my life, my future dreams...they consume me...like flames in a fire and thick black smoke...so I make a choice...to not celebrate the loss...but celebrate my life and everything in it...every moment I am awake :)
alheim
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Motorcycle Accident; October 2013.

Tears & stretching in BP of left arm. Significant loss of movement at elbow & wrist, and no deltoids. Looking forward to improvement!

Post by alheim »

Today 10/15/2014 is my 1st Rebirthday. It has been a pretty great year - oh yeah, besides that little ol' brachial plexus injury.

I had surgery at Mayo, I bought a house in NYC, I've been on many trips, I am doing very well at work, I bought yet another hobby car to play with and still manage to handle all of the work on it (I often force people to help me out), I am still friends with all of my pre-injury friends, and my fantastic girlfriend has not left my side.

I'm crossing my fingers that my nerve transfer surgery done at Mayo in March takes effect, but it hasn't yet. 7 months so far. I have occasional pain but it's not too bad.

I really miss riding bicycles & motorcycles and am looking forward to getting back into cycling.

The biggest problems are that I'm sick of wearing a sling (but I prefer wearing it to not wearing it - it's more comfortable for long periods and the arm is in a more useful position, as I can still use my hand, mostly) and, well, having an injured arm is pretty bad, but what can you do. Life goes on. I'm glad I'm not dead.
Master DIVER TOM

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

We all hit speed bumps, :shock:
You have Done great in what have learn to do to adapt, Keep the sling and use it to rest the arm ;) :D You will get past this , get on a stationary bike , Help your good arm to help the other to reach the other handle bar and grip, Get all the therapy you can as you can , You will get past this in your way, stay positive my friend , You have come far :D

Biker with erbs :shock:
Tom