depression?

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
kobrin
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Quad bike accident on 24th May 2009., Severe Brachial Plexus injury with root avulsion. Right arm paralysed and extreme pain all the time. Two of the 4 avulsed nerves were grafted on 1st August 2009.

Re: depression?

Post by kobrin »

Thanks Bill, I have reduced my morphine medication and feeling a lot better. My mind is at least clear and I am "managing" the pain on the moment, I still can not come to terms that no one has medical answers to eliminate the pain. You would think in today's medical fraternity someone must have answers.

Anyway I am seeing another Neurosurgeon next week to discuss deep brain stimulation, where they place electrodes into the part of the brain where the pain sensory nerve is triggered and by applying a light current this may "confuse" the brain and diminish or eliminate the pain.

I believe there has to be an answer out there and will continue to look for it.

Regards

Stephen
bill de brooklyn
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: BP injury July 20, 1968 the result of an auto accident(c5). No surgery.

Post by bill de brooklyn »

phantom pain is shared by amputees and those who have nerve damage. unfortunately it is rarely discussed. i always feared the side effects of pain killers more than the phantom pain.

Bill
ipeverywhere

Post by ipeverywhere »

I don't deal with the depression so much but I do deal with a good dose of frustration. Some comments about the pain and it not changing I agree with. I think I'm on a pattern now. As the seasons change my pain spikes. As my work changes, my sleep patterns change, my pain changes. The only time I am almost pain free is when I have no pending work, no chores, no stress, and I can lay down and not move. Otherwise it comes and goes. Right now it's really bad as the weather warms up and the humidity increases.

If there is any advise I can give it all is to keep pushing forward. I've never told anyone I couldn't do anything (although there are a few times I request help with it) and for that reason I've never allowed anyone to tell me I couldn't do anything. I don't know what people say behind my back but in front of my face I just don't put up with being treated different. I think it stops a lot of the behavior you describe.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:28 am.