swimming with one flail arm

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
Master DIVER TOM

Re: swimming with one flail arm

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

I wish everyone who likes to swim with there limitation to consider Scuba Diving. There is dive store owners who train divers with limitations out of a wheel chair or with no arms,etc One source on the net is Dive Heart. I am a Padi Master Diver and now have two issues with both arms, I still dive and over 700 dives done scents 1981.

Best wishes ,

Tom
onepaw

Post by onepaw »

Fernando: Very cool and practical solution.
onepaw

Post by onepaw »

I guess I don't know what the "winger" category is. Please fill me in.
Dan wrote:
Master DIVER TOM wrote:Hi Dan,

Hope you do the Kona, Iron Man. Best wishes

Tom
Tom, I haven't had any overuse issues yet, I am 25 years in, so hope that continues.

I am a weekend warrior triathlete, but there are a few people who have been on here who are the real deal. Last year the national champions in the one arm "winger" category for both men and women were bpi'ers. This year the national champ for the women not only won the one arm, but also the entire challenged athlete division. They might be doing kona and the other "real" triathlons, I just do the short ones, just for fun.

Dan
Dan
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Injured 5/11/86, had just turned 18 yrs old
Evulsed C5-T1
Intercostal into Bicep 10/86

Post by Dan »

[quote="onepaw"]I guess I don't know what the "winger" category is. Please fill me in.
[quote="Dan"]

"Winger" is slang for the one arm category for triathlons.

Here is the official description:
 TRI 4 - Arm impairment: Including Above and Elbow Amputees or
"impairment" in one or both upper limbs. Athletes may use prosthesis, brace or sling
on the bike and/or run.

Dan
Master DIVER TOM

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

You and others and parents are Awesome-!! Because you try or try to encourage your child to overcome limitation. It workS for sure even if a over use of the good arm happens at 60 it still works today-!! Stay Strong

best wishes All ways,

Tom
swimhappy

Post by swimhappy »

This post is right up my alley!!

Background: I spend ~20 hours a week in the water training for swim competitions. I just got back from swimming World Championships about two weeks ago, but my real goal is London 2012 (I also competed in Beijing in 2008). I currently hold a world record in the 100 m butterfly.

My answer: I don't use anything. In Paralympic swimming, no assistive devices are allowed. Even before I started competing in para-meets, though, I never used anything. I let my arm float by my side. I've discovered that doing so actually helps strengthen shoulder muscles that otherwise wouldn't get a workout at all because they're too weak to use outside the water.

It's finally strengthened them to the point where I can sometimes use my right (gimp) arm, but I go so slowly when I do that most of the time I don't even bother. The only time I do is when my coach specifically tells me to.

If your daughter is going to be swimming a lot, I HIGHLY suggest bilateral breathing (breathing to both sides). I know a lot of people who don't (even people with two working arms), but breathing to only one side puts such a stress on that shoulder that you increase your risk of overuse injuries. Breathing to both sides also helps with 1) rotation, which is key to going fast/smooth; if you don't bilateral breathe, you frequently end up swimming on one side or flat; and 2) with developing a good breathing pattern which helps you swim longer more efficiently.

If she has any other questions or needs any other tips or ANYTHING else related to swimming, please tell her to talk to me!!!! I love talking about swimming, and I don't often get a chance to talk about single-arm swimming. I might even be able to find some videos of me swimming.